She's just old

Jessica was able to make an appointment for only two days later. Her gynecologist was currently out of town so she was a little upset that she had to settle for the doctor that was there until she returned.  Of course Jessica could wait for her regular doctor, but there was no way she could take not knowing for another two weeks.

That morning was the first morning Jessica actually threw up.  Before now it was always just nausea.
Jessica hid it as best as she could in front of the kids.
After dropping them both off at school, she and Danny went to the doctor.

Jessica sat there and her stomach was rumbling.
"I'm so scared, Danny!  I can't take it anymore!"

Danny reached over and grabbed her hand. "Baby, don't worry.  If you are, then it'll be okay!  You have me here and you know I won't leave your side."

"But my age!"

"You'll be okay."

"What if I'm not pregnant and I'm sick?  What if I have cancer again?  What if-"

"Stop with the what if's, Jessica.  Just breathe, okay?"

"Okay.."

Soon the nurse called her back.  She checked Jessica's blood pressure, weight and everything else she needed.  They then waited to speak with the doctor.

"What will the kids say?" Jessica broke the silence.

"What do you mean?"

"About the baby!  If there is a baby.." Her voice trailed off.

"I think they'll be okay."

"No.. with Nova, that was different.  That was six years ago and we had been trying for so long!  Enrique was something completely different.. I don't know if they'll be happy about it this baby."

"Honey, they will be thrilled!  Especially little Nova." He smiles.

"Heh.. yeah." Jessica looked down with the smallest smile.  For a second she was happy about the thought of a new baby.

"It's just crazy.. you know, if I am!  We tried forever to get pregnant with Nova.. now we weren't even trying.  It was just an accident!"

"Yeah, and it was your fault!" Danny chuckles.

"Ohhh!  I was hoping you wouldn't remember that!" Jessica scrunches her face.

"I remembered, little lady!  How dare I interrupt your orgasm!" He mocked her and laughed.

Jessica nodded her head and rolled her eyes, just as the doctor walked in.

"Hello Mrs. Huston.  Dr. Huston." He smiled and shook their hands. "I am Dr. Fisher."

"Nice to meet you." Jessica smiles softly.

"Now I've gone over your chart and what I really feel is the problem, well not problem, it's actually not a big deal!"

"What is it?" Jessica asks.

"I feel the you are in the beginning stages of menopause, Mrs. Huston."

"Okay.."

"It says here you had unprotected sex about two months ago.. a woman your age cannot get pregnant just one time having unprotected sex." The doctor chuckled softly at the thought.

"Oh.."

"I mean, twenty years younger, yes!  But women in their forties don't have it that easy.  Lay back for me, please?"