She's Beautiful

"Danny, she's tiny.  She's so small!" Jessica cries into Danny's arms.

"I tried to stay strong in front of them, but I'm so scared for her.."

"Baby, she's in good hands." Danny says as he rubs his hand up and down her back.

"We've all been prayin for her, honey.  She's a Huston, she'll pull through."

**

Hours pass and still no word.  They advised Alyssa to rest but she couldn't.  Not until she knew her baby was okay.

"Mom, please go home and get some rest.  That boy needs to stay in there!" Zachary points to his mother's belly.

"I feel bad leaving, Zachary."

"Don't.  We understand.  I'll call you as soon as they let us know what's going on."

"Okay.. I love you, baby." Jessica hugs him tightly.

"I love you too, mom.  Rest!"

"I will." Jessica chuckles.

Danny took Jessica home, and everyone else went to grab something to eat. Everyone but Michael.

"Mikey, you should go home for a while.  It's been a long day."

"No man, I'm staying. Not until we hear something."

"Thanks.." Zachary sighs and sits down beside Michael.

"How is she?" He asks.

"Well she finally managed to get to sleep so I left her alone. She deserves a rest."

"I bet.."

There was a short silence before Zachary looked down and finally let his tears out.

Michael pats his back and says, "She's gonna be okay, Zach."

"Mike, what if she's not?  What if we lose her?  I can't lose her!
..She's my little girl.. and she's so beautiful..
Just seeing her for those few seconds.. Mike, I know she's the sweetest little girl ever.  I want to be her father so bad!  I want to read to her.. I want to sing to her!  I want to chase boys away when she's older cause my baby girl will Always deserve better!  I just want to hold her and make her feel safe!" Zachary sobs.

"You'll get to do all of those things, Zach!  She has Huston blood in her.  You and coach are two of the strongest men I have ever met.  Alyssa is strong too.. to go through what she has and to have a smile on her face.. you both are tough as nails.  And Valerie will be just like the both of you."

"Thanks.."

"You don't have to thank me.. I love you, Zach.."

"I love you too, Mikey.."

There was a small pause before Michael tried taking his mind off the baby for a while.

"You know.. I was out here thinking and.. you and I pretty much started this whole thing.  We met in school and had a common interest of basketball.. we instantly became friends, and now we're brothers."

"It's crazy to think we were just two young boys who met at school."

"I know.. then our parents met and couldn't keep their hands off of each other!  Disgusting!"

Zachary laughs.

"My dad.. gosh, he has always been so crazy about mom.  Even before he ever met her.  You'd tell us these stories, then he'd go on about how incredible she was.  I thought it was a little weird, but now looking back it's really sweet."