We can't lose her

Zachary drove Alyssa to the hospital as quickly as possible. Just in the few minutes from her water breaking, to arriving at the hospital, her contractions quickly intensified.

They brought her back to a room as quickly as possible and the doctor soon came in to check on her.
The two were relieved when when they heard their baby's strong heartbeat.

"Mrs. Huston, you are dilated four centimeters.   We've contacted your regular doctor and he is on his way."

"I can't have my baby now!  She's been measuring smaller than what she should be.  If I have her, what are her chances of surviving?"

The doctor sighs and says, "I will have your doctor discuss that with you.  What I will say is that your baby will be in the very best hands, and everything that can be done, will be done."

Alyssa looks at Zachary and cries.
"Zach, we can't lose her!  We can't!"

"We won't, Aly.. She's strong.  I know she is."

**

Soon after seeing the doctor, Zachary called their parents.  They wanted both of their mothers there, so they came as soon as they heard.

"I'm gonna meet them in the hall, you're sure you'll be okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine.."

"Okay." Zachary kissed the top of her head and left to find their mothers.

Alyssa's mother ran to him and hugged him tightly while Jessica watched.

"Where is she?  Where's my baby?" She asked.

"Room 202."

"Gracias, amor!"

She takes off leaving him and his mother alone.

"Momma." Zachary breaks down as he wraps his arms around Jessica.

"Oh baby boy, it's gonna be okay!"

"I'm so scared.. she's so tiny still.  Why is this happening?"

"I don't know, honey.. I am so sorry you two have to go through this."

"Thank you.
..I'm doing my best to stay calm for her.. I don't want to scare her even more, but it's so hard!"

"I know.."

"Thank you for coming, momma."

"I'm not leaving your side, baby.  We're gonna get through this together."

Zachary sniffles and looks down. "Not if you pop too." He chuckles softly and pokes her round belly.

"Right?" Jessica laughs. "We have a deal though, don't we, mister?" Jessica looks down and rubs her hand over her belly.

"He said he would behave until his niece was here."

"He said that?" Zachary chuckles.

"Yes he did!" She giggles.

**

4 hours later.