L

It was early March, and the spring weather had begun, though Remus and his wife had started wearing lighter clothes about a week ago. The house was clean, and they both felt a bit of satisfaction that they did something. Dora was still sleeping, and he didn't bother to wake her up, though it was late and she needed breakfast. He supposed that they could have a brunch instead.

A calendar hanging on the wall of their bedroom caught his eye. How much time was it until the full moon? Remus stood and looked at the calendar. It would be... today. His heart sunk with dread and anxiety. His wife was about eight or nine months along. He didn't know. The baby could come any day now. He prayed that something wouldn't happen. That it would be like every other full moon.

Dora had convinced him to let her stay home by herself after a few months so she could clean and such. She'd confided that she wanted to improve her household spells. Though Remus assured her she didn't need to be the perfect housewife, she'd still insisted.

After all, how long would their happiness last? So he relented. The first full moon with her being home was absolutely fine. The morning he returned, she'd helped bandage his wounds and make tea.

His fears had begun to resurface, like they did every full moon. But this time, they would be harder push away. With the due date approaching ever so quickly, his mind was in a state of worry, confusion, and anxiety.

The child... the poor child. Remus felt he'd condemned an innocent child to a life of hatred and poverty. His wife had a choice, their son or daughter did not. This was the first case of a werewolf having a child with a regular witch (though his wife was anything but regular), who knew what could happen?

His wife was already suffering because of him. In the early weeks of their marriage, he thought he'd chased her sickness. In a way, he did. Her heartbroken face every time he'd come back from a full moon tore him into pieces. That night he'd left had broken him and her. His heart had filled with dread and regret those few weeks. But how, how could he be with her at the time. How could he show his face again, knowing that it was all his fault. She'd lost her job and Remus was never able to find one.

It was all his fault.

He'd brought so much hardship and so much pain. Had he never rejoined the Order, would things be so much better for Dora? His answer was yes. She'd never suffer at his hands. They wouldn't ever meet and he wouldn't have caused this much heartbreak. Better yet, what if he hadn't survived the night Greyback attacked him. It would've broken his parents, but they would've had other children. They'd be able to replace him quite easily. His mother's face wouldn't look as tired as it usually did. The gray lines in his father's hair would disappear. Most of all, they'd never suffer living with a werewolf.

Now he'd destroyed the life of an innocent child. How could he forgive himself for it?Would he muster up the courage to stay, or retreat to the cowardice and leave her again. Which would be better? What way would be safer?

His breath hitched at the sight of his wife's sleeping figure, a small smile on her face. How beautiful she was, he still couldn't believe that she'd picked him. There were so many people that were better than him. So, so many. People that could give her a life of luxury, one that she deserved.

I don't want a life of luxury, she'd told him before, I want you.

Remus didn't truly believe it. How he wished he'd never brought her this hardship. Falling in love with her... it had make things so much more difficult for them. Sirius would often tell him that he should make a move, but how could he? Had he never resisted and stayed away, he'd have never know the pain it put the both of them through. His heart broke upon seeing her, knowing that she would never be his. 

But finding out that she loved him too had brought him a happiness he'd never experienced before.

Are you happy, Padfoot, he thought, I've cursed your cousin and her child to a life of misery. He knew that the heavens wouldn't open up for his friend to respond. He took another look at his wife. He didn't deserve her.

What'd he done that he deserved such a wonderful person to fall in love with him? A good-for-nothing werewolf who couldn't keep a job. He nearly drowned in his depressing thoughts before a sweet voice had pulled him up to breathe.

"Remus? What-what's wrong?" his wife sat up, "Did something happen?"
"I-I never should've married you." his voice nearly a whisper.
Her eyes widened, "Remus, please. Not this again." she pleaded.

He looked away, refusing to meet her eyes. She stood, which he knew she hated to do nowadays, and moved next to him, grasping his hand.

"This child won't be a werewolf. Why must you see the worst in things?"
"Because it's inevitable!" Remus finally looked her in the eye, "Dora, don't you see, this is all my fault." he gestured to the calendar, "Tonight's the full moon. It's your choice whether you want to stay at the Burrow or your mother's. Or at home." he added quietly.
"Remus, look at me and relax." she said firmly. Dora had asked his hand and placed it on her stomach. He felt light movements. A warm feeling began to fill him, making him experience a calming sense of relief, "That is your child. Our child."
"I don't understand what any of this has to do with—"
"Do you love me. Us."
"I still don't see—more than anything in the world."
"There's your answer. We're in the middle of a war, Remus. There's no time for regrets or broken promises. And there never will be. Please stop and actually look on the positive side of things."

A loud knock sounded at the door. Remus rushed to open it was his wife slowly made her way to the living room. He opened it and there stood a crying and very tearful Andromeda.

"Remus?" his mother in law sobbed, "Please, I-I need to see Dora."

HAPPY 50TH CHAPTER! WOOHOO! I cannot believe we made it this far! Believe me, this was only supposed to be thirty or so chapters. WE'RE HALFWAY TO A HUNDRED.

I just want thank everyone who's read, commented on, and voted on this story ! Every notification I receive from this story makes me smile and brightens up my day. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

A thanks to my friends, real life and on Wattpad, for their constant love and companionship. Love you weirdos!

Hugs and kisses,
Abby