10.

Shawn

It's been about a month since Beyoncé came over for the first time

It's been about a month since Beyoncé came over for the first time. Like anything we do, it became regular. She came over all the time now. Just to watch movies or take naps.

I was thankful for her. She taught me a lot of things. There's nothing better than a friend that you can learn from. Beyoncé was one of the smartest, brightest women I ever met. I don't know if it is because she's older than me or what.

"Pass me that pill bottle please." I told Beyoncé while we both sat on my couch facing each other. Her feet were in my lap and mine was on either side of her.

She leaned over and handed it to me. I eyed it and slowly took one while she focused back on the tv. I attempted to put them back on the table, but they fell on the floor catching her attention. She looked at them briefly before looking up at me.

"Jay... can I ask you a question? I don't want to upset you though."

"You good. What's up?"

"I've seen you with these pills on multiple occasions... what are they?" 

"Pain pills."

"Are you in... pain?" Beyoncé asked carefully.

"Yeah. I-I think so."

"Think?" She questioned and I nodded. "You're holding back. You don't ever hold back any other time, why now?"

"I don't want you to judge me."

"I have no room to judge."

"I'm like... addicted to them for real. I've been taking these pills almost every single day for years. They make me feel better, make me feel... numb."

She stayed silent. Unsure of what to say exactly. So I didn't say anything either.

"... You have to stop, Shawn. I don't want anything to happen to you. That's not okay." She said softly.

"But you mixing tequila in your morning coffee is?" I shot back without thinking about it.

She frowned and sat up immediately. "Excuse me?"

"You're excused. What, you thought I never noticed?"

"We're not talking about me. I know what I got going on. How you going to say you don't want me to judge you and then turn around and judge me?!"

"You attacked first, all I did was retaliate."

"Childish." She mumbled and stood up. She snatched her phone off of my charger and grabbed her purse. "I didn't 'attack' your dumb ass."

"I'm just saying you trying to school me when I'm not the only one with the problem. Check yourself before you check me." We eyed each other for a moment. I noticed her jaw tense and her hand ball into a fist.