8.

Beyoncé.

"Put your coat on, Egypt

"Put your coat on, Egypt. It's going to be cold today."

"Mommy, I don't get cold." He complained.

"But I do so put your coat on." I told him. He groaned some more and put the coat on.

I yawned loudly. I was beyond tired. I spent every night this week staying up on the phone with Jay. We talked about any and everything. From trivial things to very serious things. It just felt nice to have an adult friend to just talk to.

Deep down I knew I wasn't ready for anything more than a friend right now, but I thoroughly enjoyed Jay's company. I'm scared I'm getting too attached to him though. I get attached to things faster than a normal person. I don't know why, but I just do.

Jay is so sweet though. He listens to me no matter what and he makes himself so easy to talk to.

"Mommy, your phone vibrating." Egypt told me and handed it to me.

I smiled as I read the message from Jay.

Good morning 😘 I
hope your day is off
to a beautiful start

He stayed up late with me and text me with the same energy almost every morning. He was literally a breath of fresh air. I can't believe I was so rude to him in the beginning.

Good morning Jay 💘
thank u

I responded and dropped my phone in my purse. "Egy, go get in the car." He took the keys from the table and did what I said.

I filled my cup with orange juice and mixed it with a splash of Patrón. I locked the front door before getting in the drivers seat.

"You have everything, right?" I asked looking in the rearview mirror at my kid.

"Yes." He sighed. "I don't want to go to school today, mommy."

"Oh well. It's literally Friday. Just finish the week, then you get a small break."

The rest of the ride was silent. "Have a good day, babe. See you later."

"Okay. Love you mommy." He kissed my cheek and climbed out.

I pumped myself up to go to work because I was feeling just like Egypt. I did not want to come to work today, but it's Friday and I'm getting paid so there's my motivation.

• •

Finally, it was time to take my break. I barely had one foot out of the door before my phone was ringing. I groaned at it being the school. So many scenarios went through my head before I answered.