Chapter 5: Four Friends

The four arrive at a small cottage in the middle of the forest. It looked familiar to Jack. "You really live in there?" he said, still doubting Hiccup. Hiccup sighs, "Yeah but only until my dad comes back from his..." Hiccup pauses while trying to open the door, "...Uh ... business. Yeah, his business," he says. "What's your dad's business?" asked Rapunzel. "I... don't know. He never lets me go with him," he says, opening the door. "Wow. That's a lot of... uh... What are these again?" said Jack, flying into the cottage. "I said don't...! Ugh..." he slaps his forehead, "Anyway, these are inventions of mine," he said, grabbing a basket from underneath a table.

"Inventions for what exactly?" Merida said, picking up what seemed to be a shield. "Killing dragons originally," Hiccup takes the shield that immediately turns into a crossbow by accident & shoots Jack with an arrow which hits his jacket's sleeve & pins him to the wall. Everyone turned to Hiccup. "Mild calibration issue," he says, putting away the shield.

"Killing dragons? I thought you wanted to tame one," said Rapunzel, helping Jack to remove the arrow. "I originally wanted to. But after seeing one that looked as frightened as I was of it, I knew I can't kill dragons. I mean, everyone tells me that but now I know they're right. So I wanted to tame it instead," he packs a few things in the basket. "Aww, that's so nice," says Rapunzel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rapunzel?" a shady woman walks around the tower. "Rapunzel! Let down your hair!!" she calls out for nearly the third time today. "Rapunzel, you say?" a voice calls out to her. "Not now, Pitch. She's missing," the woman says. "Oh, Gothel. Stop worrying. Look at you; wrinkles & white hair all over," a man of the color black appears from the shadow of the tower. Pitch Black. More known as the Boogeyman.

"Quiet!" the woman, named Gothel, yells at him. "Do you know where she is?" she asks. "Of course," he forms a figure of Rapunzel with three other teenagers in a cottage with black sand from his hands. "Get her for me," she says. "What's in it for me?" asked Pitch.

"Everything has a consequence with you," said Gothel, crossing her arms. "Of course. Nothing's free in this world anymore," he said, walking around her. "Here. This should provide a whole kingdom's fear, enough for that little plan of yours," she says, showing him a satchel. "And what am I going to do with a bag...?" Pitch scoffed.

"First of all, this is no ordinary bag," she said, opening the satchel. "It's a satchel, I know," said Pitch, pretending to be annoyed. "Second of all, here is what you really want," said Gothel, showing him the contents of the bag.

"Deal," he said, smirking at his own luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let's just go," Hiccup shakes his head, bringing one basket. "What do dragons usually eat?" Rapunzel asks as they set put to find the dragon. "Human flesh," says Jack, answering jokingly, in unison with Merida, answering casually. Rapunzel's eyes widen & held up her frying pan, which she brought all this time with her, to try & hide her face. Jack laughs at her. "No, no, no... These dragons don't take humans. Just sheep, fish & yak, if they can carry them," Hiccup explains.

Rapunzel removes the frying pan. "Really?" she asks & Hiccup nods. "Hey! Fish!" Merida exclaims, looking at Hiccup. He looks at her, offended. "Excuse me?" he says in confusion. "What? No, not you. You're a talking fishbone!" says Merida & Jack chuckles. Hiccup looks up at him & rolls his eyes. "This is not helping," he says. "Och... Just look there!" she points at a rushing river.

Everyone looks that way. "Woah," they say in awe. It was a rushing river thriving with lots of the many species of fish  "Let's go fishing, then," Merida says. "Nope. Not me. I might freeze it," he says, backing a bit. Rapunzel runs to it. She scoops the water with her hands & splashes it into the air. "Yay!! Fishing!" she exclaims in excitement. Merida wades into the water & tries to catch a fish by hand. She gets one but it slips & while trying to get it back, she falls into the water. "Whoops," says Jack, watching her. A wet Merida sits up, moving her hair away from her face. She laughs at herself & Hiccup smiles at her.

He puts down the basket & finds a strange, black circular item on the ground. He kneels down, picking it up & observes it. Not too long after that, something big & quick passed by in front of him. Rapunzel, who was now lying down on the grass, looks up to try & see what it was. She runs to Hiccup who was hiding behind a rock. "Is that... him?" Rapunzel whispers. Hiccup gulps & nods. They saw a black dragon, black as the night, with a pair of big wings. It also has a broken tail... which meant it couldn't fly. Hiccup made a sketch of it in his notebook.

Rapunzel walks to the river. "Can I try fishing, too? I saw Merida do it a while ago. I think it went something like..." she grabs a fish & ends up the same as Merida. "Come on. Get out of there," Jack says, gesturing to her. Rapunzel smiles, embarassed. Hiccup & Merida are having a little chat at the back. "Why not try using your bow & arrows in catching a fish?" says Hiccup, pointing at her bow. He was already done with his sketching, "Mah bow & arrows? Sounds like a plan," she says, taking a look at it. "I'll try, then," she said, picking up her bag of arrows. She walks to the river. She prepares her arrow &... Shoot! She hits a fish. "Oh look, you got one," said Rapunzel, trying to get all of her hair to shore.

"Here ya go!" Merida takes the arrow & gives the fish to Hiccup. He takes it & cautiously walks to the dragon. It cautiously walks towards the fish he was holding out. The trio are quietly watching him. It was opening its mouth a bit but then it stops & defensively growls at Hiccup. He takes a step back & takes a look at his belt. There was a knife there. He holds it for a while & the dragon readies itself to attack. He takes it & kicks it into the river. The dragon immediately sits like a little cat. Everyone was watching closely in amazement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today must have been each & everyone's happiest day; Hiccup found people who actually wanted to be his friends, Merida found people who listen to her, Rapunzel is out of her tower & three people believe in Jack. However, all good things come to an end. And it seems like their happiness will end soon as two dark characters hatch a plan to capture Rapunzel! Will the four newly found friends reach their goals first before the enemy reaches theirs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~