Chapter 17: The Grotto

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup & his father arrives at Gobber's blacksmith shop.

"You stay here. I'll help out in the village's repairs. When night time comes & I am not here yet, go home & stay there," said Stoick.

"Okay," said Hiccup. And like that, Stoick leaves.

Hiccup looks over the sea & spots the three ships leaving their dock. It'll be this same time tomorrow that they'll come back.

He then finds this an opportunity to meet up with Toothless in the cove! He quickly goes there in order to get back to their house before Stoick gets there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup goes to their house to get his charcoal pencil & notebook. Then, he sneaks some fish in a basket. This is Toothless' dinner. He quickly gets there before the sun sets.

When he got there, Toothless greets him with a... well, toothless smile.

"Nice to see you, too, bud," Hiccup replied, chuckling. "Here's some fish for you," Hiccup puts down the basket.

"Got some Salmon, some fresh Icelandic Cod & a whole smoked eel," Hiccup narrates as Toothless sniffs the fish.

Suddenly, Toothless growls at something in the pile. Hiccup picks up the eel & Toothless displays his hatred towards it. He growls in a threatening stance.

"No! No, no," Hiccup looks around & eventually throws it on te ground, far from them.

"It's! It's okay," Hiccup pauses as Toothless sniffs his hand & shows a disgusted gesture. There's still some eel slime on Hiccup.

"Ugh..." he wipes his hand on his pants, "I don't like eel that much either," said Hiccup.

Just like that, Toothless begins eating the fish. Hiccup takes a seat & flips through his notebook. He spots his sketch of Merida.

Her wild red hair that looked like burning fire along with her blue eyes, as blue as the sky above. She was a different princess. Different than the stereotypical kind. Princesses are usually, well, damsels in distress while Merida was a fighting warrior.

Hiccup snaps out of his thoughts then begins to sketch Toothless eating in the next page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, better get going," said Hiccup after Toothless finished eating, "Night time is near," he adds.

Suddenly, Toothless sniffs Hiccup. "What is it, bud?" Hiccup asks. "Want more fish? Sorry. Don't have anymore," said Hiccup.

Then, Toothless drags Hiccup's notebook out of his pocket. "Toothless!" Hiccup scolds him & he backs off a bit.

Hiccup looks down on the notebook. He sees that it opened on Merida's sketch. "Are... are you looking for Merida?" Hiccup asks Toothless.

Toothless sheepishly looks at Hiccup & nods. "Sorry but not today, bud. Someday, she will visit you here. In the meantime, let's just wait," said Hiccup, petting Toothless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merida has dinner with her family in the castle. "So Fergus... how was the Dragon Training?" Elinor asks the King as Merida intently listens.

"The heirs did fine. Who knew Macingall's son could dodge so swiftly like that?" Fergus says then laughs, "Right, Merida?" he nudges to his daughter.

"Aye!" Merida laughs.

"How about the two 'only sons'? How were they?" asked Elinor.

"If you're asking about Dingwall's & Stoick's sons... I'm not sure if they'll pass," said Fergus, taking a bite from the chicken leg he was eating.

"You... don't think they'll make it?" Merida looks at her father, unconciously with a concerned reaction.

He just said that Hiccup can't pass this challenged. She thought he could. She knew he could. After all, he 'caught' a dragon already. Toothless the Night Fury, to be exact.

"Not really, dear," said Fergus to his daughter as he saw her concerned expression.

"Why are you worried, Merida?" Elinor asks her.

Merida turns to her mother. It's now or never... "Because..." she began, "Because I know Hiccup," she said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~