Chapter 21

Luce

I peer past the corner i had made my hiding place and watched them.

"Nathan I think it's pretty obvious how I feel about you. If I drop any more hints I'll have to spell it out."

"Yes you have made it quite obvious."

"So take me Nathan. I'm willing to give myself completely to you. I doubt you'll find a more willing girl."

"Oh Veronica..."

I gasp. I can't listen anymore. I run as fast as I can. I don't know where I'm going but as long it's far from here it's perfect. Before I know it I'm at Our place. This is where I used to gaze at him from a safe distance. That was until he started having lunch with me claiming "loneliness is an illness"

Hmph only he can get me to smile when I'm in tears.

I sit on the bench under the single cherry blossom tree and let my tears flow freely.

Before long he's there.

"Lucinda."

I keep my head down, my hair concealing my tear streaked face.

"Lucie?" he teases.

He knows I hate being called that. It's so childish.

I shake my head, refusing to answer.

"Lucia." he uses his pet name for me. He rarely uses it.

His voice is serious now.

"What's wrong?" 

I hear him sit next to me. He lightly touches my wrist.

I sniffle, giving myself away.

"Hey.." he whispers, "Don't cry."

"You're going to be Veronica's boyfriend, aren't you?"

He flinches in surprise.

"What?"

I continue, "It makes sense. She's beautiful. Not like me. I'm just a boring virgin plain Jane next to her. And don't bother denying it. I heard you."

"Lucinda..."

A shiver runs down my spine as he says my name, wrapping each syllable in his silken voice.

He pulls me into his arms and speaks into my hair.

"You're a fool if you believe that I'd choose that whore over you. Youre a thousand times more beautiful than she is."

"Lies." I protest.

"And you know the best part?" he continues ignoring my comment, "Since you're a virgin I get you all to myself."

"Then why did it sound like she won you over?"

"I turned her down, Lucia. I told her you're the only girl for me."

"That sounds so cheesy and you know it. You never said that. Not about me. Not to her. You fabricated it all. You don't mean a word of that."

"Maybe it does. But I did. I meant every word."

I feel his lips press against my forehead.

I close my eyes and relax in his arms.

"You the only one for me too." I whisper.

He pulls back breifly and answers,

"I know."

And his lips brush mine...

I blink back to reality and wipe some of the tears away. He'll never touch me like that again. What happened that night was a dream. Nothing more.