Part II: Chapter 9

Alex

I watch as the message sinks in. He takes his head in his hands, squeezing his eyes shut. He trembles visibly, both from fury and loss.

"Seth... I'm so sorry."

He snaps.

"Don't you dare make a mockery out of me by saying that! You are not sorry! After all the lies you fed me don't tell me you're sorry!"

"Seth, I-"

"Shut up! I don't want to here a single word from your filthy mouth!"

You were just kissing that "filthy mouth," I think, but hold my tongue. I know I deserve this. I lied to him. Made a fool out of him. Even though it was never my intention, it's still the truth. I did make a mockery out of him.

"You used me! And for what? For a distraction? Jealousy? You think you could have told me your master plan before you got me involved? Did honestly think I would have said no to you of you would have asked? I would have done anything for you!"

Seth is seething. I've never seen seth so angry. I didn't even know he was capable of the emotion. I caused this. He wouldn't be feeling this way if it wasn't for me. What kind of horrible person am I? But he isn't finished yet.

"But you know what? I'm done. I'm done playing your game. I'm done being your goddamn distraction- your martyr!"

He gives me a look of absolute loathing and storms into the room, slamming the door behind him.

He leaves me there, hollow and disgusted with myself. In a daze, I find myself moving toward the bathroom. Each step feels like slow motion, like I'm moving through molasses. I hear so many voices in my head.

As I at last make it to my destination, I stand in front of the mirror, trying make sense of the image I see in it. The voices are screaming now. The one I clearest though, only whispers.

You've lost it all. Lucinda hates you. Now Seth hates you too. He was the only one who gave a damn about you. The only one who cared. And you betrayed him. You replayed him with a knife in his back. You're a fool. A sick disgusting creature. How can you even call yourself human?

As I stare as my reflection becomes distorted. Instead of myself, I see a hellish creature, an ugly demented thing. It's an image of myself.

I don't even remember picking up the blade.

I only remember the pain.

And the river of blood followed.