Part II: Prologue

Nathan

“But I want a black balloon!” a small four year old Nathan demands.

“Well black balloons arent very popular among children. They only had a red balloon.” his father answers holding his temper back.

“No! I want a black balloon!”

In his fit the red balloon slips out of his grasp and floats away out of his reach.

“Wait! Come back!”

He hits the boy, across his face.

“See. Now you don’t have any balloons.”

A tear falls down his face.

“I’m sorry daddy.” he says sullenly.

“You should be.”

“Can I have another one, please?”

“No. You lost your balloon. I’m not your mother, willing to deal with your nonsense and coddle you. Now come along.”

He takes his hand forcefully, as Nathan silently cries.

“Hi, Nathan.”

It seems that while staring at the infinite cracks in the ground I had gone into reverie.

I look up to see a young black haired girl. Probably five or six years old, about my age. I cant figure out why she’s here, let alone how she knows my name. No one cares about an insignificant loner like me anyway. So why would someone bother to talk to me while I’m sitting in my usual corner, away from everyone else?

“I’m Lucinda. But everyone calls me Lucie.”

“Hi,” I say blandly.

There’s no point in remembering her name, she’ll just leave me alone in a little while anyway.

She cocks her head to side like a curious puppy.

“Why are you sitting here all alone?”

My brow furrows in confusion. Why would she ask that?

“Because I like being out of the way.”

“Aren’t you lonely?”

“Does it matter? I’m just a bother to everyone anyway.”

“I’ll sit here with you if you want.”

Before I could protest, she sat down next to me, folding her legs under her.

She smiles at me, then takes out a packed lunch in a brown paper bag from her backpack. I watch her, puzzled, as she pulls out a simple lunch consisting of a sandwich, a little container of pudding, and a bottle of water. Then she looks over at me.

“Don’t you have a lunch?” she asks.

I only shake my head.

I watch curiously as she tears her sandwich in half carefully before holding it out to me.

“You can have half of my lunch then.”

I’m about to say no but my stomach growls before I can get a word out. I blush, but she only giggles and gestures for me to take it. I skipped breakfast anyway, I tell myself as I take it, at least I’ll have something in my stomach.

I take a small bite and to my surprise its actually pretty good, despite being a just regular peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

When we both finish our halves, she opens her pudding then holds a spoon out to me.