17

z a c h
It was promposal season at school, and I hated it. Every direction I turn my head, I get reminded of the forbidden love story I'm living. I guess I'm just gonna be the loser who doesn't go to prom this year.

I was stirring my food around my plate aimlessly when I heard people start to awe. I looked up, only to see Daniel with the rest of the boys from the soccer team.

He painted the word "prom?" on the back of his jersey. The rest of the boys stood behind him, holding flowers and chocolate. I couldn't be too mad at this promposal, it was Jack and Daniel, and they were truly my favourite couple.

Jack covered his mouth with his hands and nodded eagerly. Then they kissed and the whole cafe clapped. I sighed and looked back down. Oh how much I envied them.

"Hey you," Corbyn slipped into seat the next to mine. I rolled my eyes. I haven't spoken to him in weeks. What does he want? "Cute, wasn't it?" He acted as if we were still friends. "Sure."

"I helped Daniel plan it." I scoffed. He never did anything romantic for me so I find that hard to believe. "So who are you going with?" He was tugging at the strings of my heart on purpose.

"I don't think I'm gonna go." I shook my head. "Aww poor Zach. If only they allowed 20 year olds to come." I clenched my fist at his comment. "Corbyn, what the fuck do you want from me?"

"I can take you." He shrugged. "What?" I exclaimed. "To prom, I can take you." I shook my head with disbelief. "I have a boyfriend." Corbyn rolled his eyes. "So? You were mine way before you became his."

I smacked my hand on the table and stood up. "No, Corbyn. I was never yours, you don't own me! And that is exactly why we broke up." And just like that, I stormed away.

When Jonah came home from work that night, I was curled up in my bed, still upset over what Corbyn did. "Babe? Is everything okay?" He instantly felt something was wrong. So he locked the door and crawled into bed with me.

I don't know what came over me, but I broke down immediately. Jonah wrapped his arms around me tightly and didn't question me any further. He just let me cry my feelings out. And now that he was here, I know I can be as weak as I please, but I'll be safe.

"I can't go to prom." I mumbled through my tears. Jonah sighed and wiped my tears with his thumbs. "I'm sorry baby. But there's always next year." He said softly.

"And if—if you want to go with someone else, you can." I immediately shook my head. "No, I wanna go with you! I hate this so fucking much. Why can't we just be happy?" I cried out.

Jonah remained quiet. He leaned in and kissed my salty lips. "I have an idea." He whispered. "What is it?" I asked. "How about you tell your parents that you're going to prom, but instead we spend the night together?"

I thought about it for a second. "How would that work? Where would we go?" I panicked. "I have some money saved up from work, we can book a hotel room. And I'll tell them that I'm working late."

Surprisingly, I feel like his idea might actually work. I wiped the rest of my tears and sniffed a little. "You know... that might just work out." I nodded slowly. "So its a date then?" Jonah smiled. "It's a date." I kissed him. And for the rest of the night, we cuddled.

I was supposed to update yesterday but then the power went out from 5 pm to 12 am and I had to abandon my house.

-dolanschonce