Chapter 2

"Cheshá!" I could hear my father, Xander, yell from down the hall. My sixth birthday had just passed and I looked at my door before walking towards my father's office. As I crept closer I could hear Vester trying to calm my father down. "If she is living in my house she will abide by my rules Vester. This has gone on long enough!" As I walked closer my ears twitched.

Before I knocked on the door I could hear Vester's brave voice as he tried to stand up for me. "Sir she is only a child. There is no need to have her hide who . . ." He wasn't able to finish his sentence. My father had cut him off.

"I don't pay you to tell me how to raise my child!" My father roared. I had heard enough. Raising my hand, I knocked on the heavy doors. Their voices went quite. "Open the door Vester." My father ordered. After a few seconds the heavy doors opened. Vester gave me a small smile and a slight bow as I entered the room. "Have a seat." My father spoke. His voice had always been rough. Now there was a tinge of anger behind it. Vester closed the door standing beside of it, it was a way of letting me know he would protect me, watching my father's movements.

I took a seat and waited to speak. When I was five I quickly learned to not speak out of turn when my father was present. The only thing it got me was being yelled at. "Do you know why I called you in here Cheshá?" He used my full name. I knew this was serious. I shook my head no. "You don't? Well let me enlighten you. I got a phone call from your headmaster today. You know what he said?" I shook my head no again. "He said that you were scaring the kids with your ears. You're the only one at school who has them and it's a distraction."

I looked over my shoulder at Vester who looked so serious. I knew he would have my back if things got rough. "Do you know what has to happen now?" Again I shook my head, no. Xander leaned back and pulled open a drawer. When I could see his hand, he had pulled out what looked like a knife. I shrunk back in my chair that instant. My ears pressed against my head. Before I knew it Vester stood between myself and my father.

"Sir there has to be another way. Mauve and I can create a hat or bow or something to hide them. Don't do this to her. Not now." Vester was angry but he kept his cool. My protector was pleading with his boss, putting his job on the line. Xander tilted his head and thought for a moment. Then he put the knife back into the area he got it from. "Thank you s. . ." Vester was interrupted again.

"If I ever see her ears again I will remove them. Understood." He looked to Vester who nodded his head. Then he turned to me. I gulped and hesitantly nodded my head understanding his threat. "Good now leave. I have more work to do." Vester bowed slightly then went over to the chair and picked me up. I held onto him. Watching my father glare as the doors to his office closed.

Vester decided to take me to my room. My face was buried into his shoulder as he walked quietly down the halls. Once we made it to my room more tears cascaded down my face. My butler set me down on the bed. That's when I noticed Mauve was in the room with a tray of hot coco and cookies. "H h h he hates m m m me." I whimper, pinning my ears to my head.

Before Vester tried to comfort me he looked at Mauve who came to sit on one side of me. Vester sat on the other side of me. "Cheshá my dear, your father is a very proud man. He only cares about what others think of him. Deep down your father does love you. He just has a hard time of showing it." He rubbed his hand in circles on my back. My tears had slowed when I heard my father call Vester's name. With a sigh he got up and kissed my forehead. "I will be back as soon as I can ok?"

I nod my head and watch him leave. Then I look down at my shoes. "How about we read a book? I got a new one for you sweetheart!" Mauve tried to cheer me up. Tilting my head up I look at her and nod my head.