Chapter 14

The Vital festival. What an event! About a week ago students from the other schools had come to participate in the fighting festival. The next day the battles started. We were one of the first ones to go. Getting into a battle with Team LAGN was very interesting. We tied at the very end so we had Hunter and Grizz compete in an arm wrestling challenge. I think we all know who won. Grizz of course.

Soon after many other battles went on. Team LAGN lost in the next battle after beating us. The next day we all laugh about it as we head to watch one of the first one on one battles. The first to go up is Yang and Mercury. I had a grave look on my face. The other night Cinder, Emerald, and Mercury explained to me what was going to happen.

The fight began. Mercury sent several kicks to Yang while she returned them with punches of her own. The fight went on for a couple minutes. Everyone was on the edge of their seats. I suddenly see the indicator that Emerald is about to use her semblance. I look away quickly hearing the gasps and shouts from the crowd. When I turn back around I see Yang looking confused. She is quickly escorted off the stage as Mercury is taken off stage in a sling.

That night everyone has a solemn look on their faces as we head to bed. We say our goodnight and sleep until morning. When we wake up we just sit around and talk. That feeling from last night hasn't worn off yet. After a few hours we decide to get ready and go to watch the next battle. Pyrrah Nikos and a girl from Atlas were going against each other. I didn't know much about her but Mercury suggested that I should keep my eyes open and watch.

As I am watching the fight take place I see Pyrrah's face shocked mid battle. I raise my eyebrow as I soon see the other girls weapon travel quickly back towards her. A metal rope wraps around the girl. Before we know it the orange haired girl lays on the ground in half. With my mouth gaped open I stand up to try and see better. The girl on the floor seems to be a robot.

Shouts come from the crowd as we begin to comprehend what just happened. I knew something bad would happen but I didn't expect this. I look around and meet eyes with Emerald. One quick nod is all I need to know about the next step.

With a quick glance I look over to May. She nods in understanding and we stand up to walk away. On the screens a chess piece is seen. Cinders voice is then heard as she describes what is happening and why it is happening. May and I just push through the crowds trying to meet up with Emerald and Mercury. They are supposed to tell us where to meet Adam.

I catch a glimpse of Mercury entering a room off to the side. We make a bee line to the door and enter. Inside Emerald and Mercury are waiting for us. "Are you guys ready?" Emerald asks with a smirk. I nod my head as they begin to tell us the plan. We still have to watch out for Grimm as we go to complete our mission. Our goal is to lead as many students as we can to the court yard where an ambush of the robots will be ready.

Once we understand everything I lead May out. As we walk out she removes her jacket so that her wings are spread out as she runs behind me. Before the speech is over we make it back to our seats. As far as we knew no one really cared that we left for a few minutes.

The monitors go off and everyone waits to see what happens next. Hunter stood up and moved closer to me. Onyx did the same thing with May. I pretend to have a worried look on my face as the noise from the crowd slowly picks up. "We need to . . ." Hunter is interrupted as screams arise and people point to the roof. Above us a Nevermore starts to peck at the shield. My eyes widen as I look at what is happening.

People start to rush out. I look at my team and we all decide to stay and help out wherever we can. Suddenly the shield breaks and the Nevermore comes crashing down. We see Jaune run over to Phyrra. Her eyes were wide but she didn't more at all. She was still in shock over what she did to the robot girl.