Why Was Shield Interested?

A few weeks went by with little incident, besides the fact that Kayla and Jessie had once come to work with roller skates, Jess blasting "Le Freak."

It just so happened that the Avengers were out at some charity event ball for the SHIELD operatives and such, when Natasha asked a very important question.

"Why did Shield even get into contact with them?" They pondered over it, the two main theories that they were related to someone within Shield or Jessie or Kayla had simply been computer smart and the old techies were simply dumb and didn't firewall the computers.

"Yo! Nicky!" Stark called out loudly as Fury turned to him, yelling a few choice words at him.

"What do you want?" Fury managed to grit out.

"Why are Kayla and Jessie even working here?" Fury seemed to ponder whether to tell them, and decided to because, dang, Widow could pack heat.

"Kayla is Agent Coulson's niece and she showed remarkable skill. Stark, you should know Agent Hobbs is your cousin. For Christ's sake, she was at your party about three years ago." Well, that was shocking.

"Why did you call Kayla by her first name and Jessie by Agent Hobbs?" Banner asked quietly.

"Because I am his favorite agent and he has to prove somehow he isn't biased with agents. We all established this on the first day when I sassed him and he took a shining to me," Jessie said as she swing around, dress swishing at Fury's ankles as she gave him a quick hug before drifting off.

"She also got in because I cannot fire her for no reason. Agent Hobbs is also remarkably gifted in understanding computers and has taken apart my cell phones twice," Fury growled as he stalked off.

"Well, that was interesting. Widow you up for shots of whiskey? Its Irish," Hawkeye offered his arm as she took it.

"I would much prefer vodka any day." They walked off as the rest of the Avengers either stood awkwardly, danced with people, or, in Steve's case, signed Coulson's vintage army cap. Coulson spends a good amount of his weekend hunting endlessly, and now has amassed over $200,000 worth of Captain America and Bucky things. He has it all under bulletproof, shatterproof, and bomb proof glass. He does not trust anybody but himself with it.

"Well, I for one did not know that Jessie, the best agent, was my cousin. Though I shouldn't be surprised," Tony said as Pepper and him both looked at her casually talking Spanish with the head of the government in Spain. Tony vaguely heard a lot of curse words, and laughs as they probably both looked at the other countries. It turned out India was a huge woman who didn't believe in discussing anything with anyone unless they were involved somehow with her country, and the British dude was really creepy. Well, so was Fury, but he also reminded you of a pirate, so......

"Well, I'm ready to go. You ready?" Kayla asked as she tiredly checked her bag for her pepper spray and keys.

"Yups, I found out Stark man was my cousin. Who knew?" Jessie hiccupped as she sipped her water.

"When you went to his party, you didn't know he was related to you?" Kayla questioned incredulously as Jessie shrugged.

"I have, like, thirty other cousins on my mom's side. It never occurred to me that my dad was related to him. I do not think we are first cousins. I'm shooting for maybe third or fourth. But, I still have ties to him, so that should be a line that I could use if a cute guy other than the fourteenth floor one popped up," Jessie said thoughtfully as Kayla spat out her water.

"THAT IS FURY'S NEPHEW! HE'S GAY!" She yelled as Jessie mumbled Russian curse words under her breath.

"WHY ME GOD?" Jessie screamed as she shook her head.

"Man, every guy around here either has a boyfriend, is a total Neanderthal, or secretly but not so secretly bats for the other team," She pouted as Kayla snickered.

"You could always marry your beloved fridge, Fred," she teased.

"Kayla, we all know New York outlawed that in 1947. I looked it up," Jessie said as they both laughed.

"Whatever nerd, I am going to bed. Tell me if anything interesting happens," Kayla said with a yawn as they both headed off to their beds.