Captain America's Party

And so it began. The quest for looking good for the party. Kayla thought she would curl her hair and put on a bit if lip gloss but the girls decided this would not suffice. (I keep thinking of sacrificing food. And also people yelling SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE!)

"YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" Kayla yelled as she was forced into a chair, facing a mirror as they ripped through her hair with hair brushes and twisting her hair up like Mulan's. Which then led her thoughts to PJO, wondering about Frank and his role.

Jessie had the same fate, but managed to kick her least favorite agent in the shins for calling her a blithering idiot.

"Help me!" Kayla moaned as Jess looked mournfully out the window.

"I could if I would," Jess said as she flinched away from the curling iron. "Uh, can you not?"

"What's your deal?" Jane asked as she poked it further towards her.

"Hobbs here almost got burned across the face with a curling iron because she was scared by Tony. She hates them a lot," Kayla answered, curled up in her chair, reading House of Hades before Pepper made her put it away.

"No sad books or PJO books."

"Its both," Kayla and Jess said at the same time, both in precision. The four ladies (Agent Hill had just arrived,) sighed collectively as they continued with their work.

Jess and Kayla had actual high heels. They were going to have to do Agent Sean's workload, and his was very well as tall as Steve, if they didn't wear them. The shoes, that is. Plus you had to do a bunch of math equations and stuff that you didn't really want to do in the first place. Plus Sean sucked.

Kayla and Jess wanted walking sticks. Agent Hill refused to provide them, and that majorly made them mad. How were they supposed to do anything if they didn't know how to walk not like a newborn calf?

"Straight, no wobbling!" Darcy called out, looking at the girls only slightly stumbling. It took them thirty minutes to master it, only slight tipping as Jane and Pepper sighed.

"You can tackle Hawkeye, but you can't do this?" Agent Hill asked Kayla as she nodded.

"Yup," she said, popping the p as they started to make their descent to the place by jet, since it took an hour to get there by car and they were already five minutes behind schedule. Coulson was so going to kill them.

They were right on the nose.

"Where have you even been?!" He hissed as they sunk in their necks like turtles. "Just, just go do something useful. I honestly do not care, just do not ruin anything. Agent Hobbs, please refrain from hiding in the curtains. Agent Cush, please do not join her. Or get your bow," he ordered as they both mentally sighed.

"Well, there went my evening plans. To the buffet!" Jess whispered as they walked over to the tables, piling foods in and eating, laughing at how Thor was trying unsuccessfully to eat a chicken wing. In pantomimes, they explained it to him until the room went dark for Steve.

"Uh, hello? Anyone here?" Steve asked, looking for any sign of life.

"SURPRISE!" There were yells as people gave him toothy grins and lopsided ones, him shaking hands and hugging people.

"Happy birthday Steve," Kayla said as he was about to hug her when an agent tried to hug from behind, but ended up tripping him. "SENIOR CITIZEN HAS FALLEN AND CANNOT GET UP!" Kayla yelled as Tony shook with laughter.

"High five?" Jess asked solemnly.

"High five," Kayla answered back, just as solemnly.

"This is our Always," Jessie referenced as they smiled, slapping hands as they talked more, staring at their crushes and mentally imagining scenarios that would never happen.

"Agent Cush?" There was a voice from behind as she was greeted with the gray eyes of Agent Reinheart.

"Oh, hey Colton. Please, call me Kayla," she said, not stuttering or falling once. This was a great leap for her, and a great leap for her. It was a win win situation.

"So, when are you going to show me the Lion King movie?" Colton whispered into her ear, breath smelling minty. Holy crap, his breath smelled good. A-C-C-O-M-P-L-I-S-H-M-E-N-T for mankind. Keyword man.

"Hmm, I have a movie marathon with Agent Hobbs this Saturday, if you wanna join. She usually falls asleep or goes like a hermit to the spare room in my apartment," Kayla whispered back as they swung around, eventually getting to the garden.

"I'm glad I met you," Colton admitted after a few minutes of slightly awkward silence. "You're one of the most real girls I have ever met."

"Yeah, I have some pretty pinchable cheeks," Kayla said sarcastically as he gently poked them.

"Much cheek. Such skin," he deadpanned as she laughed. "May I have this dance, my lady?"

If it wasn't so dimly lit outside, Colton would've seen her cheeks ablaze.

"Of course, my prince." His arm snaked not creepily (though I probably shouldn't have used the word "snaked." Oh well.) around her waist, pulling her close against some of the wind that was stirring up the last of summer.

He looked like he was about to ask something, when they heard a yell.

"KAYLA! STEVE IS OPENING YOUR PRESENT NOW!" Fury called out the balcony as she looked guiltily at Colton.

"We'll have the Disney marathon on Saturday, I swear it." Then, just to be a bit daring, she kissed him on the cheek, before rushing to see Steve open up her gift of old looking stationary. She got it done after she saw the stationary that Peggy had written a letter to him once.

"Thank you Kayla," he whispered into her ears, wiping away tears as he hugged her, squeezing her so tight she was lifted off the ground, panting for air.

"No, problem," she panted, as he set her down, patting her hand as he resumed opening his presents as Kayla and Colton resumed with staring at the other when they thought others weren't looking.