6: Little Victory

"Today I want you guys to work on new art folders for the year. Come up and get your old ones, take your work out from last year and put it in the new one." Everyone got up and made their way to the front. I was last in line with Cassie in front of me. The class was happy that we got to doodle and and draw whatever we wanted today. Last year when we were given this assignment, we were allowed to put whatever we wanted on these folders. I didn't feel the need to do what Mr. Banks wanted. He had complained about me that day for coming to school sick. He wasn't very happy when I turned in a folder with nothing but drawings of candy.

       Mr. Pierce was handing out fresh folders, big blank white ones. He was pulling all of the folders out of his messenger bag while handing everyone their old ones. When Cassie got a new folder and her old one, She took a moment longer than needed before turning to walk away. I caught the smile on her face and the wink of her eye. I rose my eyebrow at her, but didn't say anything about it.

       "Miss Harper." He handed me my old folder without making eye contact.

       "Thanks," I muttered. Frowning, I took my folder and turned away. Just as I did, I caught a quick whiff of something pleasant. This time I looked at him and smiled knowingly. He was gnawing at the inside of his cheek. When he looked up to me he did a double take, looking a little confused. His jaw tensed as I turned to face him completely.

        "Yes, Miss Harper?" He cleared his throat as he searched my face for something. I searched his too.

       "You didn't give me a new folder." I kept my voice calm and causal. He laughed with relief I thought, quickly giving me a fresh folder. I took it, still keeping eye contact and smiling. When I turned away, I heard his low sigh. My mind was running wild with crazy thoughts. As I took my seat next to Cassie, she couldn't wait to lean towards me with whatever she had to say.

       "Did you smell his cologne?" I nodded, trying not to smile about it. Of course I smelled it.

       "I did. Smells decent." It smelled more than decent.

       "Decent? I think it's sexy." She fanned herself with her new folder, chewing her gum with a big smile. I laughed as I shook my head at her. She was so right though. He smelled amazing. I always did love the smell of pine.

       Everyone sat around in groups, some still at their table with whoever was next to them. We all took our time drawing whatever we wanted. I hadn't drawn anything yet. I was taking my time with going through old assignments. I found myself smiling at a lot of them. Mr. Pierce announced after a while that he wanted everyone to include drawings of things that mean something to us. I smiled wide as I tossed my old work aside to pick up my pen. The bottom left hand corner of my folder became home to a small doodle of a single macaroni noodle.

       "Cassie, come here!" A girl I didn't know called over Cassie. Cassie left with her folder and pencil, leaving me alone. I didn't mind. I stared down at my folder, unsure of what else to draw. Flowers and butterflies? That wasn't exactly meaningful to me. Then again, not a lot was.

       "Really?" I didn't look up from my folder as Mr. Pierces voice interrupted my thoughts. I felt his hand on the back of my chair, making my heart race like yesterday. His right hand was on the table, supporting most of his weight. Having him so close, hovering the way he was... it made it hard to concentrate on anything. The smell of pine filled my nostrils. Shamefully, I smiled.

       "Really what?" He pulled my folder towards him slightly, examining the tiny drawing.

       "When are you gonna tell me what your project really meant?" My smile fell a bit as the topic broached. I looked up to him, trying to keep my composure.