2

Shortly after, the nurse came back from her desk.

"Katie rest a bit, I couldn't reach your mother, I'll try again later."

She left and I laid down, facing away from her.

"I know this is hard for you and I'm sorry. I know I hurt you and I handled it really bad. I really am sorry."

I did not give her any reaction, she has no fucking idea..

"Are you not gonna ask, why I'm here?"

She got no answer.

"I'm teaching Mr Adams lessons for this year, he needs more time as principal to figure some stuff out."

And thats when I really wanted to cry. My whole body was tingling and shaking lightly. She is going to ruin that class for me, she is going to ruin school for me. A hot tear escaped my eye and I was glad to not face her.

"Talk to me.."

She reached out to me and softly touched my arm again. I reacted like she just burned me and stumbled out of bed.

"Katie.."

That's when I knew, I had to atleast say something to make her understand. I turned to her, tears welling up and blurring my sight.

"No Hanna, just stay away. I cannot... it's too much.. don't touch me.."

She looked even more worried than before.

"Okay, I understand, I'll stay away. I'm sorry, should I leave?"

She got a nod and hesitantly made her way to the exit.

"Is there nothing I can do?"

"No, just go."

It hurt so much more than I thought, seeing her like this. So sad and still worried. She stayed for a few more seconds to look at me and left.

I fell down on the bed and started sobbing. Everything I held in, in front of her, broke out. I don't care if anyone else heard it.
..

Somehow I managed to drift off again and got woken up my someone touching my shoulder. For a second I feared, it was her again, but it was just the nurse, smiling down sadly.

"I still didn't reach your mother or anyone in your contacts.. is there someone else I could call?"

"No. But I feel a lot better, I can walk home, it's not that far.."

She eyed me for a long time.

"Is there really no one?"

"I believe not."

"Alright, but promise me to be careful. If you feel weak, just sit down for a while. "

"Of course, thank you."

I flashed her a bright smile, but she stayed and watched me getting ready. She let me leave and I finally stepped outside in the sharp white world.
It was late in the afternoon and the previous bus heading in my direction, left just minutes ago. The next one wouldn't come in the hour.

I sighed and accepted my fate.
Half an hour walking wasn't that bad, and it wasn't like I wanted to get home fast anyway.
But it was freezing and I was still a bit shaken up from the events of the day.

I made slow progress, the streets were slippery and the snow high. My feet got heavier with every step.
Then it started to snow.
I felt my knees protesting and my throat burning. I still had a good bit to walk, but I needed a break. So I collapsed on the next bench.

My face was numb but my forehead was glowing. I was definitely coming down with something. The longer I was sitting, the colder it became and the harder it was to tolerate.

A car stopped in front of me and I panicked internally.
And of course it was her.
She got out and walked around the car, while I stood up and continued to walk down the street.
She followed me.

"I said stay away from me."

I barely produced a whisper, but she heard.

"I jusy want to bring you home. "

"I can walk."

"No, you're sick. I just want to bring you home. I'll leave as soon as possible."

"No, thank you. "

"You're still stubborn.."

She hurried and got in front of me.
I could only stop to avoid running into her.

"Come on. I won't leave you here."

Her hands were placed firmly on my shoulders, as she dragged me back to her car. My feet were too weak to protest more.
I got placed on the passenger seat and even got my seat belt closed.
She must have understood my state better than I expected.

After she sat down behind the steering wheel she gave me a long look and carefully put her hand on my forehand.

"You're burning up!"