9

We waited until we heard the sound of a car engine dying in the distance.

Then I sprinted up to my room without even thinking. Mother was right behind me without a doubt. I made it into my room and could slam the door shut before she came hammering on it. I sat down in front of it to keep it shut. I didn't have a key.

"KATHERINE JOHANSSON WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO? OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!"

Her fists kept punching and pushing trying to get it open. I was drenched in sweat and the adrenaline from my panic was the only thing that enabled me to hold the door shut.

Eventually she stopped and started whispering in a terrifyingly calm voice:
"We are going to talk about this tomorrow. "

Then she left. I knew this was because of Carl. He was the only thing that kept her from knocking down my door. She couldn't lash out completely in front of him. But he was going to leave sooner or later.

I felt some tears streaming down my face while I was blankly staring at the floor.
When I had calmed down a bit, I took out my phone, still not daring to move away from that door.

Two missed calls and three texts from unknown, all within the last hour.

'Hey Katie, its me Hanna. Are you okay? Please just send me a quick text. Im worried. '

Five minutes later she had called the first time.

'Katie, love, please. Im going to call again. Please answer'

The second call came ten minutes later. And right after that the last text.

'KATIE I SWEAR TO GOD AMSWER THE DAMM PHONE OR JUST TEZT ME. IF YOUR NOT DOINH THAT IM GOIMG TO COME BACK AND GET YOI. IM FREAKIN OUR HERE'

She was serious about this.
I couldn't drag her into this more than I already have.
So I replied.

'I'm okay.'

She wasn't going to get more than this. But she was texting back right after reading it.

'Thank god. Why did you take so long? What happened after I left?'

I left the chat and went on Instagram for the next few minutes.
She kept texting, but I ignored it, knowing I couldn't answer without lying or tempting her to come back.
..

The next hours were excruciating. I didn't dare to move, after all I didn't know when Carl left.
It was getting late but didn't hear her. It was too damn quiet. Wish is why I couldn't let my guard down.
My back was aching but I sat there for the whole night.

I was almost dozing off in the morning. My head hurt and my legs were numb. I still hadn't read her messages. My eyes were so heavy.
..

I jerked awake when footsteps got up the stairs. The door got pushed open without open without any warning.

"KAaat ..-"

She grabbed my shirt and pulled me up.

"WHAT N FUCK DID CHU DOO? WHY S THAT WOMAN GEDDIN UP MA ASS??!"

Her slurring gave away how drunk she was again.
Then her flat palm came down on my cheek with a loud clap.

"WHAD. DID. CHU. TELL. HER?!!"

She let me fall on my bed and climbed on top of me. Since I wasn't answering she kept punching, while I tried to protect my face with my arms.
But the world became a blur and the air got pushed out of my lungs.

I stopped protesting shortly after.
And she stopped attacking.

"You already givin up?"

Breathing got easier for a second.
There was metal in my mouth and something dripping out of my nose. Then I checked her eyes and the world started shaking. Those distant grey eyes, I had seen those before.

I knew what was going to happen. And I shut down. I couldn't take it. My eyes became as empty as hers.
I stepped out of my body and walked away, that's the best way to describe it.

I didn't know when I fell asleep, but I somehow did.
..

When I woke up everything hurt. But her anger should be gone now. It was sunday morning. Which meant I just had a day to get better. Or maybe I should just skip school, but then I would involve her and Snow would get suspicious as well.

Fuck. I stumbled to the bathroom. My face was full of blood, my eye was blue and violet, there were some cuts on my nose and cheek from her ring.
I took an ice cold shower, because I couldn't stand it being hot.

It was gonna be one hell to cover all the wounds. Maybe I really shouldn't go to school. I just can't let Snow see any of this. On the other side who cares.
I didn't want to anymore.