12

To my own surprise, my lucky streak kept on going. My bus was on time, despite the heavy snowfall.
Snow didn't decide to make a surprise appearance.
My mother was passed out. But still alive.
And there was food left in the fridge.

I made some spaghetti and crashed in my room. As soon as I finish my plate my phone started ringing.
It was Snow. Of course it was her, I didn't see her today. Of course she was calling.

I stared at my phone for a minute. It kept ringing.
Then I decided to stuff it under a bunch of pillows and ignore with a good book.
My shelf didn't include any that I haven't read yet. So I just took the one series I called home, in a way.

The King Killer Chronicles. God, I love these books so muuch.
I spent the entire rest of the day rereading the first book, crying and laughing.

I went downstairs again for dinner, but this time I was alone.
My swelling had gone down quite a bit, but my head still hurt like hell.
I took the make-up off and stared at myself for a while.

Tomorrow I would have to face her no matter what. I was pretty sure she would even get that damn principal involved, if she needs to.
But I didn't know what to say to her.
I will have to lie no matter how effective it might be.

Hopefully she would understand. At least kind of.

I went down early and got up early.

My body was protesting again but I needed time to cover my face.
It wasn't as bad as yesterday. My eye was green and yellow already, easy to hide. But the cuts were easier to make out.

I got it done fast and went down to the kitchen and was greeted by a flying bottle.
Which was a clear sign to skip the whole breakfast and lunch story. It hit my shin hard and I almost fell.

"GET OUTTA HERE!"

I left without a second thought. After checking the time I found that I could just take the bus before my usual ride and avoid the big crowds as well.

The snow had been melting a bit, but the sky was still hung with grey clouds.
I didn't have to wait long for the bus and surprisingly it was even emptier than I expected.

And so I ended up at school before most other students and even teachers.
I checked by my locker and then strolled to the cafeteria, hoping I could get something to eat there. But they were closed.

On my way back to my next class, I noticed how significantly more people had arrived and so I wasn't completely blown when I came across a teacher that still wanted homework from me.

I told him that I nobody could tell me what I had to do but he didn't take any of my bullshit. So I got dragged to the principal.

I followed him like a dog and was forced to wait in front of the teachers office room. My heart was racing. Not because of the homework mind you.

I stood there five minutes, feeling like I was waiting for a bomb to explode in my face. Then someone stepped outside and gave me an open view of the interior of the room.

I caught a glimpse of Snow talking to Mrs Dix with a serious expression. My heart sank and I had to fight the urge to run.

About ten seconds later someone else came through and this time Snow saw me as well.

All the blood left my face and I struggled to stay upright.
She smiled at me and talked to Mrs Dix again.
Then she touched her arm and smiled again and finally she came towards me.
The door shut again and I turned around and started walking. That teacher could stick his homework up his ass.

Away, away, just away. My knees were wobbling and my hands shaking.

She was smarter than expected. She didn't call out my name.
Her arms wrapped around me, when we were next to a single toilet they had for teachers. She pulled me inside, while I tried not to scream and closed the door behind us.

She hugged me tightly until I relaxed a bit.

"Hey, it's just me. It's fine."

My heart was still going a hundred miles an hour.
She let go and cupped my face with her warm, soft hands.
Her eyes scanned me up and down. Again and again.
She studied my face closely.
And she didn't say anything.