More Than Gold

Michaela got up Tuesday morning to a baby crying; she ignored Piper’s please and went on with her normal day. A woman named Gertrude Quince had called wanting Michaela to come to the headquarters of Free People for a meeting. Michaela was extremely nervous; she didn’t know if this meeting was good or bad. She got ready for the day, and she was dressed to impress. As she was leaving to meet a cab, Michaela still heard the faint sobs of Piper and Callie’s constant shushing. Michaela was a few minutes early to the meeting, and she sat awkwardly in the large boardroom. The room was very interesting. It had abstract paintings on the pale cream wall each painting containing an array of colors and shapes. The chairs were comfortable leather, and the table had a light finish. Soon, a lady of tall stature joined Michaela in the room. She was extremely thin her features jagged and hollow. She looked as though twenty years ago she had been a model. Her shoulders were held with dignity, and although she was wearing a black Armani suit, the lady made the suit pop with style. She accessorized with different color bangles, and had black stilettos. Her hair was pulled into a severe ponytail.

“Hello Ms. Hendricks. I am Gertrude Quince. I am in charge of whom we hire here at Free People. I have taken replaced Nancy Meyers, who was the lady who hired you a few months ago. I thank you for joining me here today.” She stretched her hand to shake Michaela’s.

“Hello, Ms. Quince.”

“Let’s get down to business. I have here your portfolio. I realize that your portfolio/ résumé is insignificant due to the fact that you have been hired, but I would like to talk to you about expanding your horizons. I think that you are too limited here, and that you need to find another place that will suit you better.’

“Ma’am, what do you mean too limited?”

“That was my polite way of saying that you need to find another job?”

“Have I done something wrong?”

“Actually yes. Wei-Wei is a really talented photographer. And I have heard great repots about you from her. But I have once source tell me that you had your former hair and makeup artist contour your makeup so that all the attention would be on you. Wei-Wei dismissed you from that shoot I believe. That same source also told me that you purposely destroyed props used for the winter shoot. We gave you the honor of being the featured model for that shoot, and my source said that you didn’t like one of Wei-Wei’s ideas so you destroyed the prop that she was planning on using. I also have been told that you have also been treating an assistant as your slave. I trust my source. I believe that you have come in late a few times. And we never accept this behavior, and I am disappointed that I let it go on this far. Michaela, you are not a model for Free People anymore. You may leave.” Michaela was astounded at the scene that had just happened before her. She was amazed that someone would be so mean to do something like that. Immediately, Michaela started thinking about other companies that might need models. But she was scared that the rumors that had been told to Ms. Quince had been told other places. As Michaela was about to leave a short plump lady with a sweet smile came into the room, ‘Ms. Quince, your niece Megan would like to talk to you. She said that it is important.”

“Tell her that I will call as soon as I am done with Ms. Hendricks.”

Michaela walked out of the building cursing Megan quince and her high connections. Depressed, Michaela walked around London for a time. Michaela wanted the comfort of Liam. She wanted to be in his arms. She wanted to feel his loving embrace. Crying, she walked to a radio station where the boys were doing an interview. She walked into the station where she saw a ton of fans. She and Liam nor any of the other couples had told the world whom they were dating. Michaela didn’t want to make a scene, but she wanted her Li. Pushing and shoving her way to the front, she was able to see the bodyguards. She saw a man she recognized as Paul. Liam had briefly introduced her to him one night. “Paul! Paul!” she screamed, but many other girls were screaming his name. Unflinching, Paul kept his stare at the door where the boys were inside. Running, desperate to talk to Liam. Just wanting to be with him, even if he was busy. She wanted him so badly at that moment that nothing was going to hold her back. Knowing Liam was in an interview, she just wanted to talk to him during a commercial break. She bolted. “PAUL, PAUL!! IT’S MICHAELA!!”