Chapter 11

On the day of Lazarus' birthday, I sat in the guest room getting ready for the party. Tori the Tramp sat on my bed watching me do my make up. She was driving me nuts. I kept telling her to get out of here, but she kept ignoring me. I think she thought I was joking. I wonder if I threw something at her, she'd get the hint.

     "Are you sure you wanna wear that much makeup?" Tori asked scrunching up her face at me.

     "I always wear this much makeup" I said putting on lipstick.

      "Oh. I was thinking you'd want to look more natural and innocent to accept a marriage proposal."

     "No one really cares what you think. Also, who said I was going to accept the proposal?"

     "So you're not going to accept it?"

      "I never said that."

       I was actually playing the biggest tug of war in my brain right now. To marry or not to marry? I don't know. I've already accepted the fact that I won't be queen of my country. I talked to James last night and his training was going very well and the people loved him. So, did I want to marry Lazarus or nah?

      "I don't see why you're having such a hard time deciding. You've seen Lazarus right? I'd love to wake up to look at that face everyday."

      "If you don't stop whoring around then you'll never get a guy to marry you," I snapped at her.

    Tori scoffed. "I'm sure mother and father will arrange a marriage for me. I just hope the guy is attractive. But anyway, that's why I'm having fun while I can."

      "You do know you're only 13 right?"

     "And here you are at 17 sitting and getting ready to maybe get married. That means I only have 4 years left."

      I rolled my eyes. I didn't see the appeal to pointless relationships, but hey, what did I know?

    There was a knock on my door and Victoria came in without waiting for an answer.

     "Hey," I said.

      "Hey, Victoria!" Tori said.

     "Hey, Tramp," Victoria said.

     "Witch," Tori said.

     Victoria laughed. "Calling me what I am isn't going to insult me. Now get the hell out of here so I can talk to my best friend before she makes the biggest decision of her life."

     Tori grumbled but she did leave. I looked at Victoria in the mirror standing behind me. She was wearing a long pink evening gown and her hair was curled, and today it was actually blonde, her natural hair color. I, on the other hand, was wearing a black evening gown and my hair was in an updo, which I just got done doing. I could've had a maid do it, but I wanted to do it myself, so I could be alone. Although, the being alone thing wasn't working in my favor.

     "How are you?" Victoria asked.

     "I'm fine," I said going to sit on the edge of the bed.

      "Are you sure? I can tell everyone you're sick and then we can just forget about this crap for now."

     "No, but thanks for the offer. I need to get this over with eventually, so it might as well be now."

     "Okay. Well I just wanted to check on you. Oh and please, just do what your heart wants. I don't want my best friend regretting who she marries."