Chapter 18

Dario told me to meet him by the door leading to the back of the grounds at 6 at night. He was already there waiting for me when I arrived. He was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans and had a backpack. Damn he really was attractive.

     "I saw the window you shattered," He said.

     "Oh yeah, Elridge wasn't very happy with me," I said. "But at least I took my anger out on a window and not a person."

      Dario laughed. "Why were you angry?"

     "I got into an argument with Lazarus," I said following Dario outside. I didn't really want to discuss that so I changed the topic. "Where are we going by the way?"

     "Into the woods."

     "Into the woods? Anywhere specific in the woods?"

      "No."

      "No? What do you mean no? What are we doing then?"

     "The guy we are meeting said he'd find us."

      Oh great. We were venturing into the dark creepy woods at night by ourselves with no place to go and some guy was going to find us. Good plan. Not.

      The sun was setting when we stepped into the woods. My senses were immediately overwhelmed by smells and movement.   

     "I should probably warn you, I'm guessing the reason you're here is to make sure we don't die," Dario said.

     "Um okay, well then why would Elridge choose me to come?"

      "Because of your protective abilities obviously. You can use your body as a shield. And you can use all of the elements. That's always helpful."

     "Umm okay then."

     "Don't doubt yourself Elizabeth, everyone knows you're powerful."

      We walked in silence for awhile. I kept looking up to see the stars in the gaps of the tree branches. They were really bright tonight. It was so beautiful. When I looked back at Dario he was watching me.

     "What?" I asked.

     He shook his head. "Nothing."

    "So..have you and Adrijana set another date or..?" I asked trying to sound casual.

     "No. She's pretty pissed about it too, but I refuse to talk to her about it. Wanna know a little secret?"

     "What?"

     "I'm really happy I cancelled the wedding. I didn't want to marry her. I still don't."

     That was the best news I've heard all day.
     "But then why were you going to marry her?" I asked.

     "I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Adrijana, I grew up with her. But I don't want to marry her."

    "Why, too bitchy for ya?"

    "That about sums it up," Dario said and I laughed.

     "Hey, can I ask you something about blood?" I asked.

    "Go for it."

    "Last year, you told me that if you were to drink too much of my blood, I'd get attached to you. What did you mean by that?"

    Dario kicked a rock in front of him then looked up at me. "That's random."

     "It's been bugging me. I asked Victoria, but she's not a vampire."