Chapter 24

There was the tiniest of knocks on my door. And since no one else was in the room with me, because my roommates were sent home, I was forced to get out of bed and answer the door.

      Faye was fluttering in my face when I opened the door. "Hey, Faye, long time no see. What's up?"

     "Elridge sent me. He wants to talk to you," Faye said.

      "Right now?" I asked.

     "Yeah. As soon as possible."

      I sighed heavily. "Okay, fine. Tell him I'll be in his office soon."

     Faye flew off and I shut the door. I threw on a pair of sweatpants and a t shirt. I ran a brush through my hair and decided that's all I needed to look good today. I didn't feel like dealing with my face or anything.

      When I left my room, my hall reminded me of a ghost town because all of the Ruby Class students were gone. I didn't see a single soul until I got to the Diamond Class side of the school. And even then I didn't really see anyone.

      I got to Elridge's office and just walked in like I always do. Except this time it wasn't just Elridge in there, Krail was in here too.

   "Miss Huntress, nice of you to just walk in unannounced," Krail said. I knew he was just messing with me because he had a grin on his face.

     "Oh don't mind her, she always does that," Elridge said. "She thinks she owns the place or something."

     Krail chuckled. "She is an Angel after all. You two have a nice day."

     Krail left Elridge's office and I went to sit in the chair across from Elridge's desk. Elridge looked better than the last time I saw him in his office. For example, this time he wasn't crying.

    "How are you Elizabeth?" Elridge asked me.

    "I've been better," I said. "How about you?"

     "I think we've all been better. So, what exactly happened in those woods?"

    "I thought Dario told you everything?"

    "That's not what I'm talking about. Both you and Dario seem to be acting different. I noticed the minute you got back. And you're wearing those bite marks like they're damn trophy," Elridge said pointing at my neck.

    "I am not!" I said defensively covering the bite marks with my hand. "I just forgot to cover them!"

     "Well, even if they were covered it doesn't take a genius to figure out what you were covering. It's on your neck after all."

      "He was starving. We couldn't hunt because we lost our senses. That's the only reason he bit me," I said dropping my hand from my neck.

      "And that's all that happened?" Elridge asked.

     "You're a little nosy. Aren't Headmasters supposed to stay out of their students business?" I snapped.

     "Yes. Unless the headmaster is concerned. And I am. So, exactly how much does Dario like your blood? Because he's had it more than once now."

       I fidgeted uncomfortably in my chair. "Um. He likes it. A lot."

     "And?"

     "And, and it means he loves me. He even said so. And then he kissed me," I whispered the last part. I'm not sure when I started crying, but there were tears streaming silently down my face. "And that was it. We're done."