Chapter 28

I kept my eyes shut, and the ringing in my ears was almost unbearable, as the noise started to clear, it was quiet. Very quiet.

      I fluttered my eyes open, just as the white light started to subside. Everyone else was trying to open their eyes as well.

      There weren't very many people standing.

      All around the front lawn of the crumbled Gemstone Academy, were bodies. I could spot demons and witches alike. All had perished.

       "What...what did I do?" I asked.

       "I don't know," Victoria said, her hand covering her head wound. "You defended us."

       "Um. Did we win?" Humphrey asked.

       "ELRIDGE!" Dario yelled.

       My head snapped up, I had almost forgotten why I produced the light to begin with. Over where Elridge had fallen, stood demons surrounding him, and they each had a knife.

      "Oh shit, they're gonna stab him like Julius Ceasar," Magius said.

       I didn't think it was time for literary references, but Magius did fire a spell in the demon's direction, making them scatter a bit, and Victoria followed suit. I attempted to run for Elridge, and tripped and fell.

      "Shit," I muttered.

       Dario was at my side in a second.

       "No!" I yelled. "Help Elridge!!"

       "I think he's covered," Dario said and I looked up. Mr. Calorio and a couple other higher ups had made their way to Elridge. Even still, a demon stabbed Elridge's other wing, before a spell knocked him away.

      "I'm surprised your spell didn't take all of them out," Dario said helping me up.

      "They must not have been in the ar- DARIO!"

       I was too late. A demon had snuck up behind him and stabbed him in the back. Dario let out a yelp of pain, and I screamed in fear, and anger. Before I could process what I was doing, the demon had blown up. Literally swelled until his skin popped, and his blood sprayed everywhere. Including on me.

       I was about to kneel down next to Dario, when Magius pulled on my arm. "Leave him," He said.

      "Are you fucking nuts?!" I yelled yanking my arm out of his grasp. "I'll die before I leave him!"

      "That's exactly what's going to happen if you stay here! The witches are performing a spell in the garden that's going to wipe us all out!"

        "Let them!" I cried. I hadn't noticed my tears before. My cheeks were already stained. "Dante is dying and Elridge is down!! We don't stand a chance anyway!"

       "Elizabeth!" A stern voice yelled. I looked up and found Elridge being supported by Mr. Calorio. "Let's go."

        I swallowed a sob and stared back at him. He didn't say anything else, and turned to hobble off with Mr. Calorio. Victoria, ignoring my moment of weakness, grabbed my hand and pulled me after her.

       I didn't look back at Dario.

       In the garden, a large circle of witches and wizards, protected by demons, had formed. Students and higher ups were already taking care of the demons.

     "They're not going to make it," Magius said. "The spells almost finished."

      I once again caught Elridge's eye. "Your turn," He mouthed.