six

Annie was seething. A girl on the team with her kept messing with her and intentionally pushing her buttons. So by the time she was meant to stay after, she was a taunt string waiting to snap.

Asher didn't mind this, he walked circles around with how happy he was and it frustrated her even more. "Could you just stop being so happy and helpful!?" She grunted in annoyance and tossed the ball at him.

He caught it smoothly, which annoyed her. "What crawled up inside of you and died?" He asked as he started mindlessly dribbling.

"Nothing I'm just—this girl—"

"You're gonna go against many girls who will get under your skin Annie. You can't let it affect the way you play."

Annie's jaw tightened and immediately she got the urge to punch something. "This girl is my teammate she's supposed to be on my side—"

"Your teammates will always envy you. You're the best. They want to be the best so they'll do whatever they can to break you down. I'm a sophomore varsity captain, none of my teammates think I deserve it but you prove to them everyday that you do."

Asher tossed the ball to her. "You can't expect your teammates to respect you either when you refuse to make conversation with them." Annie hated that he made sense.

She tried to shoot and it hit the rim and went out. Okay that annoyed her. "You aren't thinking straight when you're mad." Asher told her. "You need to learn how to calm yourself down. Have you ever tried counting?"

Annie gave him an exasperated look. "Counting. Really?"

"Okay maybe not counting but what about special moments that make you happy? Or people that make you happy?"

Annie retrieved the ball. "Yeah. With my family." The tension already was escaping her voice as she thought about it but found herself becoming sad as well. "I need a different memory."

Asher realized what she meant too quickly and nodded before thinking. "Make good memories. With me right now." Annie stood up straighter.

"You're kidding—right?"

Asher shook his head once. "Your good memories are tied to your family and your old friends, they all will make you eventually think of Caleb. So make memories with me."

"How?"

"Give me your number."

"What-"

"Give me your number mcdonald's meal and we can go get some food. I'll get you back here before your parents come to get you." Annie froze.

So she wouldn't be telling her parents?

Oh well.

"I'm coming so I'll be giving mcdonalds the number meal I want." Asher shook his head with a small smile. "You did that on purpose you douche!" Annie punched his arm lightly.

"I just wanted to scare you, but I will be getting that number someday."