nine

Asher had gotten back to the school in time for her mom not to suspect a thing, but it was done so in silence. Annie was used to silence, but this one was loud and seemed to choke her.

Why did it matter so much to her whether he actually cared or not?

This thought pushed on the back of her mind every time she stopped focusing on school—which was a lot.

It was this thought that she was focusing on when she crashed into someone. Luckily, Annie wasn't carrying books, but the other girl was. When the girl straightened, Annie noticed her cropped black hair and goofy smile. This was Asher's ex girlfriend.

"Hi, I'm so sorry!" The girl apologized and Annie shook her head with a small smile.

"No it was my fault I wasn't paying attention."

The girl shook her own head in response. "No I'm sorry, because I did it on purpose." Annie stiffened. "My name's Peyton." She held out her hand.

Annie weighed running away or shaking it. She shook it. "Annie. Though I assume you know that if you did that on purpose." She tried not to sound a little bitter.

"I really needed to talk you, I apologize again." Peyton told her and Annie finally nodded. "Is Asher okay?" Annie's eyes widened the slightest bit. Oh boy. "It's just that after he lost his best friend and me, you're the only person he really hangs out with so I just want to know if he's okay."

Annie... hadn't really thought of that. The possibility that the golden boy would be not be okay. He seemed okay, happy even. But was that just with Annie? No of course not. "He jokes around with me?" Annie told her though it came out more as a question.

Peyton's sad face straightened, but not into relief but almost shock or anger. Did Peyton want him to be upset? A small smile stumbled on her face and she thanked her before walking away.

Annie was too busy thinking what the heckin flip was that to realize Asher had come up behind her.

"Hey." Annie turned in surprise, and noticed Asher's awkward stance. He seemed very uncomfortable. "What did Peyton want?" Annie tensed. Why did it matter?

"Ask if you were alright. She looked kind of annoyed and disappointed when I said you seemed fine." She explained and Asher made a face that Annie could only describe as a mix of disgust, confusion, and annoyance.

"She broke up with me for my best friend she shouldn't be annoyed that I moved on." Asher scoffed and Annie froze.

Moved on? To who?? What the flipping flip!?!

"I don't know much about relationships buddy boy." Annie slapped a hand on Asher's shoulder and walked past him. Oh my heck she just said buddy boy somebody come throw her down a well and leave her to die.

Asher started to follow her but Annie made a detour to the girl's bathroom and ran into a stall.

Yep she could just be in here for the next... forever.