thirteen

Turns out Lilia's friends were just two people: a girl and a boy. The girl had her hair in a ponytail and she had really cute glasses. The boy was really tall, and after only a word Annie realized he wasn't from here.

"Annie, this is Anna and Will."

Anna immediately struck out her hand for Annie to shake, she had a bright smile. Annie shook her hand with a small smile and turned to look at Will. Will seemed very nonchalant and quiet. "Hello." Was all he said.

He's british? Lilia explained to her that Will had moved here a few months before and that despite not making sense, they were all great friends. Annie was both happy and sad because she would never get this group. Not with the way she pushed everyone away.

Lilia was in the middle of a rant, which Will and Anna made comments throughout, when she paused and looked at Annie. "Will you hang out with us tomorrow during lunch?" Annie smiled and shrugged. "Cool cool cool cool cool cool." Lilia said and Annie laughed.

-

Asher was sitting on the bleachers waiting for Annie when she walked in the doors to the gym. She got out early to get changed but Asher stood in her way before she could go to the locker room. Did he have a free period or something?

"I heard about the argument in the cafeteria." Asher said and Annie tensed. He seemed to notice her attire as well but made no comment. "Are you okay?" He asked.

Annie paused. "Wait you're asking if I'm okay?" Asher nodded. "I'm fine. If you heard about the fight then you've clearly heard that she said she still had feelings for you. You okay?"

"Doesn't matter anymore."

"And what does matter then?"

Asher's face drew into confusion. "What?"

Annie deflated. "Peyton only went after me because she assumes we're... I don't know something. We kissed, Asher, and we haven't talked about it."

"I didn't think the kiss mattered much to you so I didn't bring it up."

Annie snapped. "Of course it mattered to me you dimwit, it was my first kiss and it was with you."
Annie finally shook her head and began to walk around him but he stopped her. "What?!"

Asher finally said "You make it so clear you push everyone away. You make it so clear you refuse to love people. You're hurt, I'm trying to help you."

Annie scoffed. "So you make me like you? To end up hurting me later?"

"No Annie—I don't want to mess things up with you or get hurt. I'm trying to get you to stop pushing everyone away. I don't want to get close to you and have you push me away."

Annie stared at him for a moment, reading the vulnerability in his eyes. "You coming to my game?" A wave of relief was visibly seen on his face.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

-

Annie's game wasn't going very well. They were down but nothing that they couldn't come back from. It just seemed like the girls weren't thinking but acting on reflex and making mistakes.

But worst of all, Annie wasn't focused.

It was halfway through now and they had a small break. Annie drank her water quickly and waved at her family sitting on the bleachers.

Asher came up behind her suddenly and she froze. "You're in your head." Annie took another sip. "You're thinking too hard about other stuff, remember the game. Remember what makes you love basketball. Also, #13 is too eager to take shots, #16 is poor defensive and always moves left. You got this." His presence was gone in the next second and Annie felt slightly better about the game.

"Annie!!!" She heard a scream coming from behind her and spotted Lilia? "You got this!" Annie smiled brightly at her before confronting her teammates about the observations and making a comeback.

-

So will Annie's team win the game? If so, how will they celebrate? Stay tuned.

Also thank you all so much for the comments, I read every single one and I appreciate them a lot!