Chapter 13

---------- Chapter 13 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Deidre? Do you have a moment?" Hermione's soft tentative voice comes from behind me.

Draco nods his head at me and I nod at Hermione, following her down the corridor to her room. She unlocks the door and gestures for me to go in.

Hermione's room is huge. It's decorated in red and gold everything! It's really tidy and there are a ton of books everywhere! Totally a room I would expect someone like Hermione to occupy.

"Are you okay?" she asks, watching me look at her books.

I smile weakly at her and nod.

"Why weren't you sitting with us during dinner?" she probes.

"Because Ron told me not to," I whisper back, still skimming through her books.

"What? Ron said that?" she asks, her voice rising slightly.

I nod my head and smile at her again.

"Deidre, Ron has no right to banish you from your own house table, you know that right?" Hermione asks.

"Yes, I do. But I really didn't want to end up sitting there all alone. It seems like all my friends hate me...except Kate. But she wasn't feeling well, and didn't go down for dinner," I ramble.

"What would make you think your friends hate you?" Hermione asks perplexed.

"Hmm...perhaps I read too much into the situation. Oh wait! Ron did say not to join them for dinner!" my voice is slightly shrill and dripping in sarcasm.

"Is this about Draco?" she asks quietly.

"I thought you called him Malfoy?"

"Either way," she grins, "Ron and Harry are really bad at coping with someone they are close to going out with someone they don't like. They're guys...they don't get it," Hermione tells me.

"Oh? Then, what's Ginny's excuse?" I demand.

"Ginny told you not to join them too?" Hermione seems incredulous now.

"No. But Ginny is making such a huge deal out of the fact that Draco used a shield charm. As if he started it! Harry was the one who jinxed him first! And Draco was only trying to protect me! Can't they see that that alone proves that he has changed?" I ask, exasperated.

"You're right," Hermione exclaims, jumping off her bed.

She begins pacing up and down, slightly freaking me out.

"Hermione? Are you okay?" I ask quietly.

"Huh? Of course! I just can't believe I actually agreed with them! I thought you shouldn't have started seeing Draco either at first. But you are right! He has changed, hasn't he? I mean, I should have seen it myself! He's the Head Boy! He doesn't even slack off! He's always around when I need him to be! I can't believe it! Draco Malfoy has changed!" she exalts, all in quick succession.

"Umm...okay?" now she's got me confused!

"Draco?!" she shouts. "Come on! I know you're listening! Come in here!" she continues.

We wait in silence for a few minutes before the door knob turns and Draco stands in the doorway, grinning sheepishly. Hermione giggles at the fact that it worked.

"You were listening in?" I ask, feigning disappointment.

"Hey! I heard your voice! Whenever I hear your voice, I listen," he admits sweetly. "Anyway, what's up partner?" Draco asks turning to face Hermione.