Chapter 29.5

~Charles POV~ (Oof! Seriously?!)
She's gone... just like that... I was supposed to protect her at all costs... this is my fault, I got too attached to her, too lenient.

As I'm sitting in the grass crying my eyes out I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn and look at DeDe. "This is your fault you dumbass."

"What?" I asked.

"I said that we have to go after her.." She repeats. "The king will have your head if you don't leave now. I'll go get Frank and we'll leave right away."

I nod. She helps me up and we go back into the house. I go to her room, holding onto the hope that she didn't just leave me, hoping that she's still laying in her bed. I open her door and I'm met with just a wave of sadness. She's not there. I walk over to her bed and see letters with respective names on it. 'Alex, father, DeDe, Carly... Charles.' I pick up the one marked Charles. I don't open it, I just stare at it.

I look over at her desk and pick up a letter from General Washington. Mount Vernon? "She's going to Mount Vernon.." I find myself saying out loud.

"We should get going, Mount Vernon is a long while away," DeDe says, picking up the letter marked with her name.

"I should probably stay... it's my fault she left.. I deserve all the punishment that I'm going to get." I say, looking at how she wrote my name. The c is swirly at the top and it's the only one in full cursive. I miss her so much.. I never got to tell her that... no, stop, she only saw me as a father figure... nothing else.

I remember when she was little, technically my father was watching over her, but I was to do it when I was old enough, she would try to get me to play games with her, but my obligation with my father prevented me from doing so. I am only 2 years older than her, so hearing that I'm a 'father figure' is pretty demeaning.

"No, come with us, please." She says. "[Y/N] needs you."

"Alright.. I'll come..." I say. I put the note in my pocket and we head to the carriage that's waiting for us. Mount Vernon.. here we come.