Chapter 16

—Two Years and Three Months after "The Decimation"—

Tony was scared, nervous, and anxious. All this work that has been in his head, Pepper has completely slip from his thought. The pressure the others placed on him was too heavy. Now it was time for him to visit Pepper.

Rhodey had dropped him off at Tony's mansion where Pepper had been staying for the past two years. After that, Rhodey went back to the facility since Scott had called him to come back.

He knocked the door, and waited anxiously for the woman he loves. There was a little flicker of light on the ground floor, and he could hear the footsteps coming closer to the door. The door finally opened, and Pepper was standing at the door. She was wearing a sweater, jeans, and rubber shoes. She seemed shocked to see him.

"Oh my-" Pepper muttered and turned away, walking away.

"Pep, don't I get a 'hi' or a 'so glad to see you' greeting?" Tony asked, following her inside. She kept on walking until she reached the kitchen. She placed her hand on the counter while the other was covering her face. Tony was confused. "Pep, what's wrong?"

"How long have you been here, Tony?" Pepper asked, tears flowing in her face. Tony was speechless, "Tell me, Tony."

"I... don't kno-remember." Tony stuttered. Pepper didn't seem convinced, "It hasn't been long since I arrived."

"Tony! How long have you been gone?!" Pepper was impatient now, anger and sadness in her face.

"Three months." Tony muttered, "It's only been a few months, Pep. I was trying to-"

"Trying to what Tony?" Pepper said, weeping, "You know, I hated Iron Man. But I didn't have the will because I loved Tony Stark. But I'm fearing Iron Man and Tony Stark are basically the same person now."

"They aren't Pepper. In space, I wouldn't have came back if you weren't in my head. That's the reason I wanted to come back."

"Are you sure Tony?" Pepper asked, hand covering her mouth, "Or did you come back because of Iron Man."

"I didn't, Pepper. Ask my friend who I spent time in space in. It was always you, Pepper."

"I love you Tony." Pepper said, with a small smile forming around her face. She breathed heavily as more tears flowed through her eyes, "But I need you to love me Tony."

"Wha-what?" Tony said, as Pepper pushed her through the hallway. "Pepper, I love you."

"I don't know, Tony." Pepper said, one hand pushing Tony and the other wiping her tears, "I need to see it."

"Hey Pe-Pep. Stop doing this." Tony said, not having the power to push back. He felt like he could do it but didn't choose to. "I need you, Pepper."

"But I don't need you, right now." Pepper said, finally reaching the door. Tony looked at her in confusion. "Goodbye, Stark."

Tony stood there in confusion as she slammed the door on him. She didn't act the same for a reason but he couldn't work it out. He faced backwards and saw the sunset falling back. The birds were flying over him and the sound of chirping were heard in the trees. Tony was lost once again.

"Damn." Tony sighed.

—Space—

Thanos reached the deep caverns of a very large asteroid, as large as the sun. It was filled with darkness which made Thanos bring a torch along with him. He had a sling on his shoulder where he kept his sharp two-headed sword. The gauntlet was on his left hand as always.

In this large asteroid, Thanos was looking to prepare for the battle that was ahead. He knew they were there, but deeper inside. He had traveled through the Space Stone, but on the edges of the deep rock to not startle the inhabitants.

After a few more minutes of travelling, Thanos reached the very heart of the asteroid. There was a flicker of light in the center of the rock and he knew that this was their home.

"Chitauri! I know you're all here!" Thanos shouted, waving his torch around. There was silence but he knew they were there. "Enough hiding!"

There were murmurs on the walls of the asteroid. Thanos waited for a response. But he was getting impatient. Every moment was important. He needed to finish his job.

"Show yourself!" The Power, Space, and Reality stones lit up and the reaction surged through the asteroid. The cave walls turned into ice and the light in the center of the asteroid turned into a blazing fire. There were Chitauri soldiers hanging on the walls and they were looking at Thanos. Murmurs turned into anger and they were shouting at him. "C'mon! Louder!"

Thanos used the Reality stone and the right hand of all the Chitauri soldiers turned into alien rifles. They were then granted with a sword placed on their back. Their body turned into heavy armour and all the Chitauri were amused.

"You can all be gods!" Thanos shouted in amusement. "So help me, every single one of you. Follow me on my journey."

The Chitauri were shouting and raising their rifles to the sky. In the tunnels, thousands more of soldiers were running towards Thanos and surrounded him. They were praising their new saviour.

"We shall rule the universe!" Thanos used the Space stone and created a portal where large space worms coated with heavy armour raced through the tunnels. "Go on!"

Thanos created large cannons on the worms by using the Reality stone. Some Chitauri soldiers who were hanging on the wall dropped down on the space worms and rode them. The asteroid started to melt a little and Thanos knew he was successful in creating an army.

"Follow me! Come my children!" Thanos shouted which echoed throughout the asteroid. Thousands and thousands of soldiers followed him going outside the tunnel. Thanos needed to rest before his final battle so he planned to settle on a small remote planet. Thanos looked to the stars that he could see through the small holes of the icy asteroid, "I know you would be proud, Gamora, I know you would."