Chapter 24

—Present, Alternate Universe—

Somewhere in the universe was Earth. It was a different Earth however. There were barely any people living there because of "The Decimation." It was a complete wasteland. People have moved on. There are people who have moved to other galaxies, but have failed in their quest to find a new haven. Only some have reached their destinations and called it home.

But somewhere in the jungle of New York was a man dressed in blue and red. He was sitting in a building, waiting for a message. He hasn't received one in a while. He thought his friend would have answered him by now but, there was no one there. Suddenly the door opened and he lost his train of thought.

"Strange?" Peter called. "You've been in here for the past few hours."

"Peter." Strange sighed after saying his name, "Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be waiting outside."

"Yeah, but we got bored." Peter said, entering the abandoned room. "So, this is what you use to call Sanctum Sactorum?"

"Yes. But that was in the past." Strange smiled.

"It's been a while since we visited this place." Peter looked at the paintings.

"Are the others there?" Strange asked.

"Yeah. They're waiting." Peter informed. Strange nodded and they both went outside. There were five people waiting for him outside. "Hey, are we going to move?"

"I don't think so." Sam stated, looking into the streets. "We're still waiting for them to finish up."

"So, are you finished with your little adventure inside?" Quill asked. "We've been waiting for hours."

"I'm sorry for that." Strange apologised, placing on his gloves. "What are they looking for?"

"Food." Drax stated.

"And water." Mantis continued.

"I am Groot." Groot added.

"Yes, Groot. That's the same thing as food." Strange corrected.

"Are we still going to stay here?" Quill asked.

"We have to. The last message I got from my friend was a few weeks ago. Now he isn't answering." Strange said, "This must be a sign."

"That they lost?" Drax asked with worry.

"No, that means they're ending it. We may be able to go back home in the next few hours."

"Or a few hours from getting nothing after traveling around the universe for two years." Quill argued.

"Bu-" Strange stopped, "You may be right. But this is it. We either lose now or stay here forever."

"I'm pretty sure all of you are leaning the right way." Sam said.

"Hey!" A figure called from the distance.

There were four figures walking towards the group. It could very well be Skrulls, who have been invading planets for resources, or it could be the people they always knew.

"Any progress?" T'Challa asked.

"Absolutely nothing." Strange said.

"Well we won't go back to the space station empty handed. Especially if my father finds out." Hope said, wearing her Wasp costume.

"Think about Fury." Bucky said.

"Yeah. That man will not back off." Sam said.

"Then what are we supposed to bring back to him?" Peter asked.