Chapter 25

Steve, shield in hand, ran over to Natasha and Clint to help them defend. He started to help push back the Chitauri more effectively with the shield. Clint focused on the soldiers who were on the high areas. The piles of rubbles were being used by the soldiers to snipe them out.

Thor and Hulk were destroying the waves of soldiers, combining their strengths. Hulk grabbed a piece of metal and threw it at the soldiers. Thor shot thunder on the metal to add another factor to it. It took down a group of Chitauri chargers.

Tony was shooting his way through the groups of soldiers going to the ship. He launched a dozen rockets which paved the way for Scott to regroup with the others.

"What's up guys?" Scott asked, taking a breather when he reached the group.

"I still predict a thousand Chitauri." Clint said, grabbing some arrows off the corpse of some of the dead soldiers.

"Sounds like a long shot." Scott said, looking into the distance. There were hundreds of Chitauri still running towards them, "Maybe a hundred thousand more?"

"Sounds about right." Natasha placed her batons on her back. She approached Tony, "How are we doing?"

"Alright. We're breezing right through." Tony joked, grabbing some shrapnel off his armour. "The three of us can handle here. Just keep on pushing them."

"Steve?" Natasha asked.

Steve looked at her with fierceness in her eyes, "Let's move."

Steve and Natasha ran towards the enemy and started attacking them one on one. Scott followed and shrunk to get a upper hand. Clint stayed behind, shooting arrows to prevent any surprises.

"Nat!" Clint indicated. Natasha turned around and knocked the Chitauri down.

They continued to push, until a laser beam shot past Steve and Natasha, knocking out Clint's cover. Scott grew back into full size and ran over to Clint to help.

"Who the hell-" Natasha muttered until she saw a large figure walking towards them.

Thanos slowly walked over towards the Avengers, gauntlet on the left hand and his sharp sword on the other. His armour was complete, and almost nothing could pierce through it.

"Avengers!" Thanos shouted, then chuckled lightly, "You have come here, to fail, like you always do. What are you trying to prove here?"

"We aren't trying to prove anything." Steve said, standing on rubble so he could be clearly seen by Thanos.

"Steve," Natasha whispered, "Get out of the way."

"Ah..." Thanos smiled when he saw the figure speaking against him, "The Captain. Isn't it a pleasure to meet you?"

"Only if we are on the same side." Steve noted.

"You're all the same." Thanos shot a beam of the Power stone.

Before it could reach Steve's chest, a large wave of photon energy prevented him from killing Steve. Carol landed beside Steve in full binary mode.

"Took you long enough." Steve said, looking at Carol, "Busy?"

"Digging through rubble? Yes. It was." Carol smiled and turned around.

Rhodey was walking towards them in his new Ultimate War Machine armour with his shoulder cannon armed. Rocket was on his shoulder, goggles placed on his head, and weapon dangling from his arms.

"Yeah, I brought some help." Carol said. "So, what's the plan?"

"We get him distracted." Steve said, turning around, "Tony and the others will finish those soldiers off. For now, we keep him distracted."