29.

———

Yeri's funeral was emotional. There were some acquaintances from school who showed up to pay their respects. Some of her distant relatives flew in for the event. Throughout the time, Doyoung heard too many people say "she had a full life ahead of her" and "it's a shame, she was so young".

Doyoung didn't talk much to the guests. Part of it was due to shock, part of it was due to denial. He stayed by Jaehyun the entire time, using him to socialize. When it was time to begin, Jaehyun and Doyoung sat with the family. After so many years with Yeri, the boys were basically family.

Being part of her family was a great honor, but with that honor, they also had a responsibility. Yeri's parents asked them to speak about her to the guests. They felt people would appreciate to hear how her friends viewed her and her life.

They went up together and stood at the podium with their speech in hand. Jaehyun began first.

"Yeri was one of our best friends.  She was caring, kind, smart, and everything else you could ever ask for in a friend. When you were down, she would always be there to put a smile on your face."

Doyoung said the next paragraph.

"She was down to earth. Even as the oldest child, she never looked down on her sisters. One day, when we were still in middle school, I went over to her house for the first time. I don't know if she had just forgot I was coming over but when I drove up she was playing with chalk on their driveway, creating portraits of her little sisters."

Doyoung became choked up, unsure if he could continue. Jaehyun put his hand on his back comforting, but the touch caused Doyoung to break. He hid himself in Jaehyun's neck. Jaehyun finished up their speech for him.

"When Doyoung and Yeri started dating, they both obviously became happier. Together, they picked up new hobbies. We even started ice skating, which is something I don't think either of us would've have ever decided to try if it wasn't for Yeri." Jaehyun choked on the name. "She had a true gift. In the words of Doyoung, it was always nice to see her on the rink. She would be skating as quick as possible, showing us tricks by skating circles around us, all while we would still struggle to move forward without falling."

Jaehyun smiled at memories of their time at the ice rink.

"Most people who saw Doyoung and Yeri together had a good feeling they would last a long time. They truly loved each other. They had talked about growing old together. Argued about who's hair would turn gray first. Who would have more wrinkles. Who would get more back problems. Somehow, Yeri always won those arguments."

Jaehyun paused.

"It's unfair, how she was taken from this world, but we know she is still here. She will always be with each and everyone of us. If I can speak for Yeri, she wouldn't want people to grieve. She would want everyone to continue life happily, remembering her. That is what the goal is. Although it is unfortunate, and many of us are heartbroken, we must carry on. If not for ourselves, then for her."

"I would like to thank Yeri for all she has done for me and everyone here. She brought so much joy into not only my life, but into many peoples life."

Jaehyun folded up the speech and took it off the podium. He looked out at the crowd, building the strength to finish their speech strong. "Finish it for Doyoung." He thought to himself.