32.

A/N: this is a super long chapter but I wanted this to be all in one

———

Tonight was the Fall Ball. Haechan had once waited for this day to arrive, but now he wished that tonight would never come. He was excited to hang out with Jeno, Jaemin, Jisung and finally meet Jisung's friend he talks so highly about, but he wasn't excited to spend so much time with Mark when he is with Xiyeon. He wants to see his friend happy, but he knows the only way he can be happy is when Haechan is not. He's happy with Xiyeon, but Haechan wishes that he would be the only cause for Mark's happiness.

Everyone met at Jaemin's house, dressed up in their fancy clothes. Haechan was dressed up much more than the others expected. He was wearing a suit with a bow tie. Although everyone else had a suit, Haechan looked the best. No guy could look at Haechan and say they were fully straight. Except for maybe Mark.

Mark was looking extra handsome. His black hair was mostly pushed to the sides with a couple strands falling in front of his forehead. This was one of Haechan's biggest weaknesses. He loved seeing Mark like this. This is the Mark he sees in his dream, his dream boyfriend.

Haechan shifted his view, knowing he couldn't stop himself from feeling attraction to Mark if he kept staring. Jeno had picked up on the action, moving to stand by Haechan. "How are you feeling?" He said softly, looking out at the other people in Jaemin's house.

"I don't know. Conflicted is probably a good word for it." He whispered. "Just look at him, he looks so handsome. You know, he actually believed me when I told him I only like him as a friend now. How can someone be so oblivious?" Haechan complained.

"Maybe he's not oblivious, maybe he just doesn't want to lead you on because he knows it won't work." Jeno tried to be reasonable but got shut down by Haechan. "Or maybe he's just stupid and can't tell how much you like him." He quickly corrected.

"He's not stupid." Haechan defended. "Well... I guess he is... but only I can call him stupid." He caused Jeno to let out a laugh. "Anyway, how are you feeling?"

Jeno sighed. "I don't know, it's weird for me because Renjun isn't here and he's my best friend. The only other person I'm friends with that is here is you. I have heard so much about Mark and Xiyeon just because they are both very popular, and here I am, going to a school dance with both of them. I don't know, this whole situation is weird and new for me, but I believe it's good." He shrugged

"Why didn't Renjun want to come?"

"Uhh—," Jeno said awkwardly. " I'm not exactly sure if he's alright with me telling you the real reason but I'll just say, he doesn't like dances or being with people. I doubt he would ever go to a dance unless you paid him to go."

Haechan looked confused at Jeno but understood there was a reason that Jeno couldn't tell him. "Does his family not have enough money to let him go to dances?" He asked curiously.

"No his family has a lot of money, or at least, a good amount. Money isn't an issue. He just is uncomfortable with this sort of concept." Jeno said unsure. Haechan decided this conversation was making Jeno feel too awkward so he ended the conversation.

He couldn't help the aching feeling in his heart. He sat on a couch, watching many of his friends talk to each other, seeing pure happiness on their faces. Jeno was sat next to Haechan, creating conversation with Jisung and Jaemin. Jisung introduced everyone to his date, Chenle. His family moved to Seoul from China a while ago, but he went to a school for rich kids until now. Now he goes to a typical high school, where Chenle met Jisung and Jaemin. Immediately, he became much better friends with Jisung. Then Chenle asked him out to the Fall ball. No one here is sure if they are actually dating or if they are still single, but either way, they look cute together. Haechan couldn't help but feel jealous of the two friends/boyfriends.