Chapter 13

"what do you mean?" i asked, pretending not to know.

"i didn't cheat on johnny. i loved him with my whole entire heart." holland said. "it was just a normal day when a boy named matt came over to my locker. he was my friend, i guess. but he had a habit of getting high at school. so while i was at my locker and he was high, he came over and kissed me. i freaked out and pulled away as soon as possible, but johnny already saw."

tears started to well up in her eyes as she spoke. "i tried to call after him, but he kept on running away. i went back to my locker and slapped matt as hard as i possibly could, but i can't remember much after what happened that day. its all just a blur"

"and johnny thought i cheated on him, and i tried to explain to him what happened, but he didn't listen. ivye, it broke my heart to see johnny so sad over what happened. johnny was the only boy i've ever loved."

more tears streamed down her face as we were sitting in the middle of PE class supposed to be listening to directions.

at first, i believed holland cheated on johnny. but now i realize it was all just one big misunderstanding. and i understood that she could be making this up after i told her i was a curtis, but i didn't tell her yet. she was showing true and genuine emotion, and thats how i knew it wasn't an act.

"holland, its ok. im sure johnny was a nice guy, but if he didn't believe you when you told him, i guess he wouldn't have been that great."

oh boy, the lies i just told.

"i guess you're right, it still makes me sad though." we paused for a second and i gave her a big hug. suddenly, she gasped.

"ivye, you could got talk to johnny for me!" she said excitedly.

"oh, no... i-i couldn't-" i started.

"please, just tell him exactly what i told you!" she said while holding my shoulders.

"fi-" i couldn't even say the rest of the word "fine" without being interrupted by holland saying "thank you so much. you're my best friend." while embracing me in a tight hug.

what have i gotten into?

the rest of the day flew by, and when it was time to leave and i headed outside and saw johnny, two bit, and pony walking away without me.

i ran up behind them and said "hello, you forgot someone!" they all turned around and just looked at me.

"i-i figured you wouldn't want to come with us after what happened this morning." johnny said.

"that's exactly why im coming by you guys, to talk about this morning. i-"

"while we are on that topic, i should go first. ivye, im sorry i said those things this morning. i really didn't mean it, and i was just trying to protect johnny, and i know you didn't have control when you moved out, im sorry." pony said.

i just laughed a bit and said "johnny told me how bad you felt, and after thinking about it for the rest of the day, i knew i had to forgive you. now that we're living together, it would be hell if we were just angry at each other the whole time." after i said that, pony looked hesitant, like he couldn't decide if he wanted to hug me or not.

i didn't speak up, i didn't say yes or no. we just let it be.

"well, thats not why i came here to talk to you guys." i started. "i talked to holland about johnny, and boy do i have news for you guys."

their eyes went wide, and then their expressions turned to disappointment. "ivye, why in the world would you do that?" pony asked while facepalming.

"no, its not as bad as it sounds. i asked her, and she told me the story of how she didn't cheat." i replied.

"she was probably just telling a big lie." johnny said while kicking a rock as we were walking.

"i thought about that too. she could have been lying if i had told her i was a curtis. but i realized that i hadn't told her that i was a curtis yet, and her emotion was true and genuine. it was all one big misunderstanding."

they all just looked at me in silence, realizing that i was on to something.

"want me to tell you her story?" i said. they all nodded in agreement.

after i told my story, they all looked like they didn't know what to say.

"she wanted me to talk to you about it, so thats what im doing." i said quietly.

"i mean, i can see where she's coming from. are you sure she's telling the truth?" two bit asked.

"i have never been more sure about anything in my life."

hey guys! there isn't much to say about this chapter, but thank you for 2k reads! and today (as im publishing this) is the 36th anniversary of the outsiders coming out in theaters! don't forget to vote, comment, and follow, and thanks for reading!