nine

after what seemed like forever she felt someone poking her arms

after what seemed like forever she felt someone poking her arms. "li xue wake up." her eyes shot open and jaemin was beside her, trying to wake her up. "god i'm so sorry i fell asleep." she apologised. "you guys are no fun." she added.

"i heard that!" donghyuck shouted from the kitchen.

"whatever how long have i been asleep?"

"not long. approximately 3 hours." jaemin replied. "we're leaving now. well unless if you wanna stay over at jeno's."

"can i?" she asked.

"no." jaemin replied short.

"what a bummer." jeno butted in. "it's okay you can come again whenever you want." jeno assured her and smiled at her again.

when her classmates said jeno's smile is everything she wouldn't believe them but now she would.

"yeay!" she got up and stuck her tongue out and jaemin stuck out his tongue back at her. they bid goodbyes to donghyuck and renjun who were busy eating more snacks at the kitchen.

"bye bye jeno. you have a lovely house by the way. and i really like the flowers." she waved and giggled. "don't worry i'll kidnap you from jaemin's house and bring you here. you can spend your time in the garden as long as you want."

"jeno is a lot nicer than you. why can't you be nicer to me?" she questioned jaemin. "well that's because you're being a little bitch to me."

"don't call me a bitch, asshole."

jaemin only shook his head at her childishness. it was already so dark outside and jaemin made a good choice of leaving. "we're taking the grab home i'm too tired to walk-"

"you pay." she cut him off. jaemin nodded. "fucking hell." he muttered looking at his phone. two grab drivers cancelled their booking and now the connection was poor.

he looked at xue and shrugged. "well?" she raised her shoulder. "now we walk home." jaemin said. xue didn't argue instead she started to walk first.

as they were walking, they saw two drunkards, shouting out vulgar and curse words in front of a shop that was currently closed. xue's breath hitched and her hands were trembling from her anxiety.

jaemin noticed that and held xue's hand protectively and pulled her closer to him. she didn't say anything instead she gripped on his hands tighter.

they passed by the drunkards and they were calling out to the both of them. "hey birdies come over here!" one of them shouted. xue was beyond scared and she felt as if her heart was going to jump out.

her eyes brimmed with tears but she held it back. xue almost stopped in tracks when they called them because she was terrified they would do something if they kept on walking but jaemin pulled her and told her to keep on walking.

they fastened up their pace and they swore they could still hear all the cursings and the shoutings. they never stopped walking instead they stuck to their pace, wanting to get home quickly.

once they reach home, it was dark inside which meant no one was home. mrs. na left a note on the countertop saying that she will be late so they should order something for themselves.

they both had not spoken anything yet until xue did. "i-i'll go and change first." she stuttered and her voice was trembling. jaemin wanted to comfort her and tell that everything is okay but he knew it wasn't the right time to.

jaemin too went up to change. jaemin only took a while to change so he went down and figured out it was best to cook something for them to eat.

when xue came down, jaemin was done with all the cooking. "i cooked some ramyeon. i know you're hungry so let's eat." he said and she only nodded.

they sat across each other at the dining table and jaemin noticed that she was zoning out. "hey your food is getting cold." he said in a soft voice. he didn't want to disrupt her fragile feelings.

"oh. sorry." she apologised and ate hers. when they're done, she offered to do the dishes. after all, jaemin had already cooked for her and even served the food for her.

she joined jaemin on the couch after that. he was watching some supernatural show but little did she know his thoughts were somewhere else. "what show is this?" she started.

jaemin who was fixing his eyes on the tv turned to look at her. "are you okay?" he asked with a serious expression.

3 words. it took only 3 words for her to break down. she was a sobbing mess. jaemin engulfed her in an embrace and stroked her hair. "it's okay you don't have to tell me."

she found herself getting more comfortable in his embrace and she nuzzled her head in his chest. "i'm sorry." she sobbed out. "hey it's not your fault. i would be scared too." his words did comfort her somehow. she really wanted to tell him but she couldn't find the courage to.

"now there there, stop crying will you? you look really ugly right now."

"ow!" he exclaimed as she hit her chest. she looked at him with swollen eyes. she chuckled as he wiped her remaining tears on her cheeks. he pushed strands of hair that were blocking her face away.

"girls look extra beautiful when they are smiling so smile!" he exclaimed cheerfully. that made her broke into a smile. "thank you jaemin." she attacked him with a hug. jaemin was caught off guard but however, he liked the warm feeling.

"you're welcome," he muttered and hugged her back. jaemin didn't want to let go. xue neither but they had to of course.

"let's watch this show aight?" jaemin tried to save them from the awkwardness after the emotional hug. and it did save them because after that they were back to being the cat and dog they were.

"nah this show is boring as hell just like you." she joked and took the controller from him and changed to another channel.

jaemin really wanted to tell her about the article he found on the internet but he was scared. after some time, he felt a weight on his shoulder. "maybe some other day." he muttered, stroking the girl's hair while she's fast asleep on his shoulder. 

i'm really really tired and the only thing that's keeping alive is writing... honestly idek anymore sigh but hey who's your bias in nct?