Chapter 10

Isaac quickly pulls me through the crowd, gently nudging aside people to reach the ones he wants me to meet. It's a couple, about double our age judging by looks although they are most likely much older due to werewolves' long live spans. They turn to us, and seeing Isaac, smile and beckon for us to come over.

The man is a spitting image of an older Isaac, while the woman is very different to Isaac, being a plump, cheerful lady, her cheeks rosy, yet they share the same facial structure and, oddly enough, eyebrows. The one thing that unites the man beside me and the couple is the kindly twinkle in all of their eyes.

"Iz, these are my parents." I give them a shy wave, unsure of what to do. I don't know how to greet my mate's parents; I've never had a boyfriend as my father wouldn't allow it (and I never wanted one) so this is a whole new experience for me.

"Hello, sir, ma'am," I say, nervous of their potential reaction; I want to appear respectful without sounding fake. Honorifics feel like the right way to go.

"Stop with the formality. Just call me Aidan." Isaac's father says, laughing at my awkwardness.

"And call me Susan."

The woman returns my smile and offers her hand which I gladly shake perhaps longer than necessary, clinging to it for support. Isaac still refuses to release my other hand however, meaning when she pulls me into a hug I am left with one arm still attached to him.

"Isaac, you need to let go of the poor girl. She can walk without you," his father comments. I shake his hand too and he laughs at Isaac's reaction when several wolves look over at us due to the noise levels coming from our small group.

"Ignore him. He's always been overprotective. You're experiencing what his sisters feel whenever they talk to a guy. The result is always entertaining for us."

I can't help laughing at Aidan's easy humour and Isaac gives me a fake non-threatening growl, only making me laugh more. We talk for a while, chatting about various different things in out lives. Throughout, neither me nor Isaac say how we met or how I'm a rogue or that I killed pack members. I don't introduce them to Jack either; I don't trust her not to slip up by accident in a sudden outburst.

I start up a good conversation with his mother and we get to know each other, her sharing memories of Isaac's childhood and embarrassing moments she refuses not to say, regardless of how much he protests. However, I can see a question is bugging her that she's refusing to mention in front of the other two.

"Isobel, can we speak alone?" Susan asks.

"Of course."

Susan takes my hand and leads me away from the other two. Isaac is about to follow but she gestures for him to stay back and she wants to talk to me alone and he nods, giving me a comforting smile. She takes two seats in the corner for us and I sit beside her.

"So Isobel, sorry to be so blunt, but has he marked you? I imagine you don't want to talk about this in front of the males."

I'm not surprised she's asked me this; there were numerous times in the cave when I thought Nate would mark me but he managed to restrain himself. I'm relieved she thought not to speak of this in front of Isaac; I'm aware of how I'm an incompetent mate. I don't want him to know that too.

"No, I wasn't ready."

"I see. I assume you've been through your first heat cycle?"

"Yes."

"That's not good. I hate to scare you but you need to get marked by next cycle or you will both regret it."

"What? Why?" I ask, confused. I know the second cycle is more painful but that's it. She sighs at my lack of knowledge.