Chapter 32

Isobel's POV
I am awoken by a deafening clang, and I instantly jerk upright in terror, my body tensed for a fight. The previous weeks' events flood my mind, and I sag under the weight of them; Isaac. I've lost him.

My surroundings are unfamiliar, my body lying on a bed, covered in a large blanket. The last thing I remember is falling asleep on the deserted beach so how did I get here?

Someone must have found us.

But are they human or werewolf?

Judging by the amount of clothing, probably a werewolf.

She's right; the room is drowning in clothes, with them practically everywhere; on the floor, on various wall hooks, some are even hanging from a hatch in the ceiling, all clearly a man's. I shiver in slight fear. If he's a guy, he saw me naked and he might have done something while I was out.

Most men don't take advantage of unconscious females Iz. Nothing feels different, so I think he did nothing but shift us here.

I give a sigh of relief.

Thanks Jack.

There is another loud clang from outside the room and I relax in relief; it's not a weapon: it's just pots and pans. Someone's cooking. My stomach crumples at the prospect of food; I don't have any appetite, my thoughts too clouded with Isaac, with what I've lost.

Tears prick my eyes and I hastily brush them away but they flow anyway. I soon give into my emotions, allowing sobs to seize my body and inhibit my breathing, but I am beyond caring; if this is life, I don't want it.

Hearing my sobs, the door opens and a man steps into the room, his expression concerned as he sits beside me on, presumably, his bed. I wipe my eyes but the tears keep falling. He offers me a tissue which I gladly take, drying my tears as he patiently waits for me to calm down and I sit up, pulling the blanket around me.

"Where am I?" The question quickly springs to mind; I have to know how far I've travelled from the beach.

"My house, not too far from where I found you. Lucas, by the way."

"Isobel."

"Where are you from Isobel? You have to moved here recently because I would have known your scent."

"The Dawnguard pack."

"That far away? How did you end up here then?"

"The river brought me here."

"Why did you leave?" He asks gently, somehow able to tell that this is a sensitive subject for me.

"They convicted me of murder. They made me a rogue again. And now I've lost my m-mate."

"You found your mate?" Lucas sounds surprised, as if the concept of mates is new to him, my curiosity draining my heartache away temporarily.

"Yes. Why?" I say, confused.

"I thought they were legendary. Rare."