Chapter 25b

This chapter didn't exist pre editing and I was too lazy to renumber everything so hence the letters.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"State your full name." Xander's voice is calm but icy cold, his right hand poised above a notebook, prepared to write down everything she says.

"Carrie."

"Clan?"

Her talons rap against the metal chair, her eyes closed.

"Name your clan." This time his tone is more forceful.

"I have none."

"A clanless then?"

"Y-Yes." She's terrified, her eyes scanning the room.

"State your race or races."

"Don't you already know that?!" She bursts out.

"State your race or races." He shows no sign of frustration.

"Vampire," she whispers.

"Age?" Both me and Isaac lean closer to the speakers, wanting to confirm she's not the child she portrayed herself to be.

"Two hundred and fifty two."

Xander just takes her answer in his stride, noting it down and moving on.

"Why are you here?"

She says nothing.

"Why did you come to this pack?"

She remains silent.

"Why are you here? Answer or we bring in the wolf." He doesn't raise his voice but the lack of emotion convinces her to concede the battle.

"I was here to kill the Luna."

Isaac snarls, his hands curling into fists, his eyes glowing yellow.

Calm down. She didn't manage it so calm down.

"And why was that?" Xander shows no sign of caring that she was planning to murder us, his voice as even and composed as ever.

"I wanted to." Carrie's voice goes up an octave and it's clear she lying.

For being several hundred years old I would have thought she'd better at it, Jack says, laughing.

Stop taking this so lightly! She tried to kill us. How have you forgotten that?

We haven't. I just don't care. She is no threat to us anymore.

"You're lying." She does not react. "You will tell me the truth, one way or the other. It's up to you." Xander has no emotion left except stone cold determination; he's decided he will prise the truth from her and he will do whatever it take to get it.

Who would have thought our mild mannered Beta would be so good at interrogation? Jack says, a humourlesslaugh threatening to break forth.

Not me for certain. I guess his level-headedness is the reason.

No doubt.

Xander gives us a small nod through the glass, knowing we're watching, and Isaac nudges Matthew, who snaps awake at once.

"What is it?" He groans.