Julian x Reader

Angst.

Requested by: IcedSunset (hope this is okay)

It was a cold December's day. I hid my nose under a woolen scarf, hiding from the snow. Julian, however, looked like he was hot.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, pointing at his open coat. He only laughed and shook his head. Yet, his gloved hand pressed mine tighter.

With time, the heavy snow stopped. I poked my head out and inhaled the cold air. "It's a nice day, innit?" Julian asked. "If it were warmer, then yes" I grumbled. Julian loudly laughed out. I was glad to see him being so happy.

We neared a small park at the edge of Vesuvia. We could see the naked trees, covered in heavy layers of snow. After several minutes we were under them.

In peacful quietness, we slowly waltzed on the thick snow. I pressed my eyelids together, feeling slightly sleepy. While my eyes were closed, I felt Jules grip release my hand and heard him run away. When I regained my vision, I saw him dashing towards a frozen pond. My heart flinched, I got a slightly weird, uneasy feeling.

"Julian, wait up!" I yelled. But he didn't hear me: he was tapping the ice with his foot. I ran towards him, but he has already stepped on it.

"It could break, get off!" I scolded him. Julian slightly winced, but slid away, his arm extended invitingly. I was slightly worried, but carefully followed him.

My worries were for nothing: after several minutes both of us loudly laughed, playing tag and throwing snow at each other.

"Tag! You're it!" I cheerfully yelled, pressing my palm against his back. When he turned around, I was already skating away.

Krrrrch.

I froze. I could hear Julian nearing.

"STOP! JULIAN, ST--"

Before I could finish my sentence, the ice broke, dropping into the stinging water. I saw the hole, I saw how thin the ice actually was and..

Darkness.

The gloomy darkness as I sank deeper and deeper. I was way too stressed to gather my magic, no matter how hard I tried. I saw Julian shuck off his coat and dive into the hole after me.

'NO!' I yelled from underneath. I felt my mouth and lungs fill up with water. I was slightly losing consciousness.

His eyes immediatelly widened, he couldn't bear this coldness. But, he swam towards me. With half-open eyes I saw his dark figure approach me. When I was on the brink of turning off, I felt his hand grab my forearm.

It gave me strenght. I tried once again, but I was way too exhausted, even with Julian. I saw how he tried to go up, I saw how small air bubbles left his nostrils.

'No...'

Julian just pulled me as close as he could. All was left for me was darkness. I even stopped feeling the coldness. I didn't feel anything.

Maybe, only the water splashing in my throat and lungs.

With what was left, I felt Jules grip release. I felt how I sunk down, I felt how he sunk down.

I managed to stay as awake as possible till we hit the ground. With much effort I ripped my eyes open.

I didn't see anything. Not even the hole in the ice we made. For a few seconds my eyes were open, and then again, my eyelids were way too heavy. I closed my eyes once again, feeling nothing.