Night (Modern; Lucio)

Summer evening.

I was walking through the park, birds were tweeting. I could say that it was pretty late, because the sun was on it's horizon. But I wanted to continue this walk, somehow it attracted me.  And the park didn't have much people. It was a pleasure for me, since I  didn't really like crowded places.

A cup of cold tea in my hand swooshed from side to side, wanting to escape the little paper cup. But sadly there was too little left of the tea. I just finished the last drops and found a bin. I tried to threw it in, but my shot wasn't the best. But the second time I succeeded: it fell right in.

I walked on the grass, off the pavement. The grass just said 'come, sit' and I gave in. I sat under a blooming apple tree. One of those species which bloom late, but has delicious fruits.. I sighed. I started daydreaming. I finally had a day off, I could let this to myself. And tomorrows Saturday, no-work-day also. My parents were on vacation. I could finally have some time for myself.

Suddenly, a loud bark startled me. I jumped from my place. My eyes desperately started searching for the source. And they found it: two large white hounds with red-ish eyes were running through the field right into me. I jumped, grabbed a branch and pulled myself up. I climbed a little higher when the hounds approached. They seemed huge. They started scratching the tree I was on and barking at me. I started to shiver. "Melchior! Mercedes! Leave whoever it is there, give them peace! Leave the poor thing, come on!" suddenly a loud, dominant voice reached my ears. The dogs gave up and trotted to whoever was shouting. I looked around desperately. Whoever was shouting came under the tree and looked up. They looked.. amazed? I looked right into their eyes: they had a redish shade just like the dogs. And speaking about the dogs, they were laying low behind their owner's leg. "I'm sorry about the way they scared you.. They sometimes get excited. I'm sorry once again" they spoke. My shivering calmed down "I-It's okay, I'm just not very keen on dogs.. And those are.. huge" I said. The owner laughed "Oh, they are indeed. But they usually mean no harm. Expect for those they don't like. They're fine, for instance, with my friends or family. They're great guard dogs" they smiled. "They seem like hunting hounds" I say. "They actually are. I sometimes take them to hunts". "You hunt?" my eyes widened. "Sometimes. You can also come down, they're not going to attack you."

I carefully climbed down. As I did, I took a better look at the dog owner: they were taller than me, had blonde hair. Wore light jeans alongside with a white shirt. "Lucio. And you are..?" they suddenly asked. "(y/n). Thanks" I say as he took my hand, helping me to climb down.  The dogs rose their heads, glancing at me. I tried to stay calm but my legs slightly gave me away. "(y/n), these are Mercedes and Melchior. Mercedes, Melchior, this is (y/n). She's our friend now. And we DO NOT attack friends." I chuckled. "You needn't worry now. They won't attack you. They're surprisingly smart" Lucio smirked. "Those are very nice names for the dogs. Not ordinary names, not ordinary dogs, haha". "Indeed. You somehow seem like an owl. Would you like to walk around for some time, if you don't have any other plans?" Lucio suddenly offered. Thoughts started racing in my mind. First one to come was "No, I don't have any plans, and I would love to". The second one was "No, I'm sorry. You're still a stranger to me, sorry". But Lucio seemed nice, and I gave in. "Sure, why not. Saturday's tomorrow, heh".

We walked on the pavement, talking. Lucio was holding the dogs on a pretty long leash, but they were always tying him up in it, so he finally let them go. They trotted behind us or near us, playing between. And just then I saw that Lucio didn't have one arm. Instead of it was a golden one. "May I ask what happened to your arm?" I suddenly asked. "Oh, I was a war veteran once. A mercenary, to be honest. And during one war, well.. A bomb exploded near me. I covered my friend. At least he was saved. After that I stayed at the hospital for some time. But soon, they gave me this. Asked, if I wanted it. I said yes, do it. After an operation or two, boom, I have a new arm. Oh, and after that I left. I just wrote that I'm done. They let me go." he told, looking forward. He seemed pretty confident. "I'd say you have a pretty interesting story"  I said. "And what about you? What is your story? Now, don't say that it's not interesting. I doubt that. You seem like a fun person". "Well.. I've lived in this town my whole life. About a year ago I finished university and now I'm looking for a job. I'm kinda into medical stuff.. Vet maybe. I still have my gap year, I think I'll take it. I'm thinking between a vet and a doctor. Where I went just told us about all medical sites, including animals. So, I basically know everything I need to." I finished. "See? Not that interesting" I also added. Lucio looked at me "Well, actually more interesting than mine. At least you know a lot, hah. But.. I have one question" he looked intrigued. I looked at him, our eyes met. I lightly blushed "I'm listening" "How are you going to be a vet if you're afraid of dogs?" "Oh, hah. I don't know to be honest" "Nevermind. I do believe you'll do great" he smiled. That smile filled my heart.

After some time we decided to get some food. Until that our conversation never died. The dogs seemed calm. Before and after food the conversation went on. When we got out, the night has already fallen. We sat on a bench, continued our dialogue. The dogs laid down in front of us, taking up all of the path. I smiled, and Lucio chuckled "They sure need space". I chuckled and unconsciously rested my head on his shoulder. When I did that, I just understood what I did, but I couldn't move my head. And soon I didn't even wanted to. Lucio put his on mine. We both sat in quiet, resting on each other and looking at the snoring dogs and the lonely moon in the dark sky.