Chapter 35 - The Reckoning

It was sundown, and we were outside of the high school..Stephan was still out cold and Klaus told Rebekah to keep an eye on him while he went inside the school. 

"Nik why don't you want me to go in there with you?"

I asked putting my hand on my hip as I stood by the moving truck. Klaus stopped, with his back to me.

"Because I said so"

Klaus said in annoyance. I glared

"Since when did I agree to do everything you say?"

I asked angrily, crossing my arms. 

Before I knew what was happening, Klaus had me pinned against the truck, with his hand tightly on my throat.

"Because I don't know if I can trust you right now!"

He raised his voice angrily. My breath caught in my throat...

"Nik-"

"Don't! Stay here..help Rebekah. I'll be back"

He said with glassy eyes and walked off. I looked down, avoiding Rebekah's hateful glare.

"Jessika we grew up together..we're family..why would you keep this from us?"

Rebekah said crossing her arms

"Because there's good people here Rebekah! People he'll hurt or kill for no reason and I was trying to avoid that at all costs!"

I said in a cracked voice. Rebekah's eyes softened.

"I understand Jess, but you know Nik has never taken kindly to us lying..he always gets what he wants"

Rebekah said looking down, then back up at me. I sighed sadly

"I'm starting to understand that very well"

I said as I sat down on the truck, the backdoor being open. 

After 15 minutes, Stephan woke up.

"Oh, he lives"

Rebekah said looking back with a smirk. 

"What happened?"

Stephan asked looking around at the now dark night. 

"You took a beating. My brother's been breaking your neck all afternoon. Quite the temper but it had to be you because he knew Jessika would just fry his brain"

Rebekah said looking to me with a shrug. 

"Why did he bring me back to Mystic Falls?"

Stephan asked slowly getting up

"You can stop playing dumb now. It didn't take him long to figure out what you'd been hiding"

Rebekah said leaning in with her arms crossed. Stephan looked like a deer in headlights. 

"I'm not hiding anything. I've done everything Klaus has asked"

"No, you just failed to mention that the doppelganger's still alive. Both of you"

Rebekah said looking back and forth between Stephan and I. 

Stephan looked at me but I just shrugged with a frown. 

Stephan looked at Rebekah and nodded, turning around and walking a bit away.

"Where is Klaus?"

Stephan asked 

"With any luck, ripping that cow's bloody head off now"

Rebekah said. I looked over at her with a glare and held my hand out. She yelled in pain