1

My radio blasted loudly, filling my car with music as I sped down the mountain side. Trees blurred into beautiful green fresco as summer was in full bloom. Maine was beautiful around this time of year. I took my time to admire the scenery and let it sink in completely. No more grey concrete buildings. No more piss yellow taxi cabs. No more shoulder bumping and cursing in my ears.

New York can go to hell. 

Sure following my dreams of admitting to a prestigious art college was worth it. My pockets can agree as it landed me a job that pays more than enough but disconnecting from my roots and home up here made me sick.

Walks in Central Park were nothing compared to a single look at the forest line in Maine.

The second my job offered the choice to work from home, I snatched it up with no hesitation. I was gone two days later with nothing left but a thank you sticky note on my desk and a notice email to my managers.

My car pulled up to my grandfather's old cottage. He had given it to me after he passed away and every summer I would stay and head back to New York for the winter. As much as I'd like to stay here all year long, I couldn't due to how lonely it got in the cabin. The closest neighbor is half a mile away and the town is even further.

I sigh as I step out my car and up the grand steps to the large cabin, my suitcase rolling loudly behind me, "Hello Maine. Goodbye New York!" I squeal and open the door to throw my bags in the doorway.

I shut the door and lock it behind me as I head towards the kitchen to assess the food situation

I shut the door and lock it behind me as I head towards the kitchen to assess the food situation. Food wrappers of all kinds lay littered empty on the shelves of open cabinets as empty soup cans lay spread around the floor, making mini puddles of sticky nastiness. I scrunched my nose as the foul scent hit my senses. I pinch my nostrils close and look to the open fridge to see several meat trays laid empty and bloody as well.

"A bear?.. raccoon?" I question as I walk around my destroyed kitchen, "All this blood!" I sigh loudly and grab the mop from the hall closet. "Luckily it didn't dry up.. Would have been hell to..clean.." I pause mid sentence as my eyes lock on a trail of blood leading out the room, my breath catches as I notice it's still fresh, "Oh crap. Oh crap. Oh crap." I rush to grab a giant pan from the lower cabinet and hold it in the air above my head as I silently follow the trail.

"The entrance "I thought to myself but couldn't help but be confused by the thought of an animal using the front door to leave. "I don't know.. raccoons are pretty dang smart." I recap on the nature video I saw of raccoons before. My thoughts stop as my eyes connect to a black mass. I released silently scream as the black creature looms over my suitcases, it opens it up and looks through my clothes curiously. His large claws tossing clothes all over the floor as it dig through my stuff.

It's body stood out as if it was a black cut out in the living room. It's body had a strong man's shape yet features like thick hair on its head as it's legs stood like a satyrs but sharp claws dig into the wood flooring under it. I watch as it's large hand reaches back in my bag and pulls out my underwear, it hangs daintily from its long sharp claws as it takes a sniff.