Chapter 13

A couple of days had passed, and I was exhausted from taking care of Zuri, comforting my sister, and working this shitty ass job. I kept going and handling mine though because I wasn't a quitter. Today I was spending another day at work. "Victorie, I need you to work the floor today with Asia," Mrs. Ora said. "There's been too much stealing going on."
I made my way to the floor to the juniors section to keep an eye on these girls that had come in carrying backpacks. Backpacks usually meant stealing. Asia made her way over to my section. "Don't you think you need to be over there?" I asked.
"My section is empty," she responded. "Plus I don't know if you'll be able to handle them if something pops off. They known for having hands."
"Really?" I said. "Well that's cool. They might, but I'm the female Mayweather. I ain't too worried."
"If you say so," she said. "I noticed Jaison hasn't been giving you rides lately..."
"And..." I snapped. "What the fuck you worried about how I get to work for?"
"I'm not," Asia smiled. "It's just that I saw him in the club with the same baddie that was in here a few days ago. They looked mighty cozy..."
"Asia I really don't give two fucks," I lied.
"I figured you wouldn't," Asia smirked. "She ain't you right."

Just then out the corner of my eye, I saw one of the girls stuff a shirt in her backpack. "Hand it over!" I said walking up to her.
"Hand over what?!" she started getting loud.
"The damn shirt!" I hollered. "I know you put it in your backpack!"
"What the fuck I gotta steal for?!" she said rolling her neck. "I can buy this whole mothafuckin store if I wanted to!! Come on y'all let's go!" They then tried to walk off, but I grabbed her backpack, and that's when all hell broke loose. One of the little bitches snuck me and punched me on the side of my face. I clocked the bitch back, and we started rolling. Her friends were cheering her on, "That's right! Whoop that hoe Peaches!" I must admit that Peaches had some hands because we were going tit for tat until I punched her in the temple. She fell to the floor, and I commenced to administering some whoop ass. After I did enough damage to Peaches, I wrapped the theif dead in the mouth, snatched the backpack, and retrieved the shirt. "Get out!!!" Mrs. Ora came over shouting at the girls. They scrambled out the door. "Asia why didn't you help diffuse the situation?!"
"Because Victorie told me she didn't need my help," Asia stated.
"Look at this mess!!" Mrs. Ora fussed. There were racks of clothes over turned. "Victorie go to back and fix your face; you bleeding. And Asia clean this up."
"Clean it up?" Asia mumbled. "This ain't my section."
I headed to the back. I had a bruise on the side of my face, a bloody nose, and a busted lip. I cleaned my face and got some ice for my lip. Damn it! I had rehearsal today, and I didn't want Jaison to see me like this. Luckily the rest of the day went by without another incident.

"What the fuck happened to you?" Jaison asked when I walked into the studio.
"Hi to you too," I said. "And to answer your question, I had to beat a bitch today."
"Let's get started," he said shaking his head. We went through the song three times, and then I took a break. Instead of taking a break with me, Jason switched to another one of his tracks and started rehearsing that one.
"You doing more than one song?" I asked.
"We're doing more than one song," he stated. "My manager thought it would be a good idea for us to do at least two songs to let people hear more of our music. This is my second song. You need to pick two of your own songs to perform."
"Ok," I said. "I'll have my two songs picked by tomorrow. Can one of them be a cover?"
"Yeah that cool," he said. "Just make sure it really shows off your vocals."
"Gotcha," I said. We practiced a few more times and prepared to leave.

"You need to check on CeCe," Jaison said once we were outside. "She's not doing good at all Torie."
"I'll pray for her Jaison," I said. "That's the best I can do."
"Stop being so damn stubborn all the time Victorie," he told me. "I know you miss her, and she really needs you."
"The phone works both ways," I said. "You don't treat me like shit, and expect for me to extend an olive branch. See you tomorrow."
Jaison just shook his head as I left.

Later that night, I chose my song Promise and another joint by Summer Walker to perform. I ended up singing Promise to Zuri as I rocked her to sleep. Just as I was about to go to bed my phone buzzed.
Jaison: Bring a copy of the mixtape that you let me hear tomorrow. I'm gonna get copies made to pass out at the festival.
Me: ok see you tomorrow
It hurt my heart that we weren't the way we used to be. We didn't hang anymore, and we only texted about music. I missed him. I'd fucked up big time. Damn it Victorie!!