Harry to the Rescue

Stricken and a little bit stunned, Harry watched in disbelief as the midnight blue Mustang disappeared, finding it hard to accept the fact that Louis had just dismissed him, left so quickly, and that he, himself, hadn't been able to get a single word out of his mouth to try to stop him. He hadn't known that what he'd said would have that effect, and worse, he hadn't had a ghost of a chance to amend it. He could have run after him, but much as he hated to admit it, he feared rejection. Not to mention he'd look really stupid scrambling after him. If only Louis had given him a chance to explain . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Louis was livid, and not really sure why. But after cooling off and thinking about it for a while at home, he came to the conclusion that he really didn't trust people who didn't like animals. And there was nothing wrong with that. But what bothered him after the fact was that Harry had tried to say something, and he hadn't even paused to listen. Now he found himself wondering what it might have been that Harry had wanted to say.

He had such a barrier erected against the world that it was beginning to bear down on him, isolating him and growing into an even bigger, stronger blockade. It was limiting him, causing him to withdraw. To the point to where he wouldn't even stay to hear someone out if he heard the slightest clue of something he didn't like. Maybe this was why he'd had the feeling of unease before meeting Harry there? He didn't like the idea of letting people in.

Well, he wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. It was fine if Harry didn't like animals; it was Harry's choice, and it was also a good thing he'd found out about it now rather than later. He didn't need a "friend" like that.

Even so, he felt a little sick to his stomach that he'd walked out on Harry like that.

The next morning he went to fetch Shortcake, another of his favorite walkees. He was a miniature fox terrier, spry and hyper as fox terriers were famous (or infamous) for, wanting to leap around, chase cats, and barking too much if Louis didn't keep on him about it. He was always a handful, and especially when Louis had other dogs. Nevertheless, Louis admired his spunk. Today a couple owners had canceled for whatever reasons that Louis couldn't process or even remember because he was distracted, and he'd had to juggle—calling a couple of other owners to see if they minded if he took their dogs a little earlier today. No sense in walking only one dog at a time if you could walk several. If It worked out, he'd be done at noon. A new record. He never pushed people to change their schedule, just checked in with them to see if a temporary change would inconvenience them.

It didn't, and Louis had five dogs to walk. Everything went well until Shortcake decided to growl at Duke, who took no shit from anyone. The other dogs that were along for the walk got along fine with Duke because they didn't challenge him. But, having the fierce, fearless personality of a terrier, Shortcake figured he could take on Duke, even though Duke was a German Shepherd and outweighed him by about four times.

Duke curled his lip at Shortcake in warning. Louis quickly adjusted their leashes, and therefore, their positions. But even though they were separated, Shortcake wanted to take care of what he considered unfinished business. He was itching for a fight. Louis had to finagle things so the two didn't come within a couple of feet of each other. Louis was experienced, fast and efficient.

At the dog park, with Duke in one section and Shortcake and the other dogs in the other, Louis could finally relax a bit. Thoughts of yesterday invited themselves in to play with Louis' mind. Had he been unfeeling, harsh? Of course he had, but there was a very valid reason. And he'd stated that reason to Harry before he'd left. He'd done the right thing. He hadn't just up and left with no explanation. So why should he be letting it gnaw away at him now?