A Day in Bed

Aaron was avidly grilling Harry about song writing, and listening to his replies with rapt attention. Harry was enjoying it, always happy to talk about music, and was trying to explain in a simplified way how it worked; that he'd put words together, bring the words to the other band members, and the bass player would give him the lines for the music. The other three would fill in the holes of the song with ingenious chords and runs of melodic notes.

"Usually one of us will start hummin,' and that seems to inspire the rest of us, and sooner or later someone will hit on sommat that fits the words. Might take hours to get a start on a song, or might take days or weeks. We kind of just build it from the ground up." Aaron was looking as if he was enthralled, absorbing it all. "It just happens," Harry shrugged his shoulders, a little ill at ease with how intent Aaron was.

"You mean it just happens when someone has the talent to create it. Most people don't," Aaron said. "That's why it captivates me so much. You take words out of thin air and make a song out of them."

"No, not out of thin air," Harry was quick to say. "There must be an inspiration that comes from sommat or someone," he glanced at Louis. "That's the only time it works for me. Words are just words. A song's words have to mean sommat personal to me."

"Why are most songs about love?" Aaron asked next.

Harry had to contemplate this for a moment, reaching into his own head. Aaron's question was a tough one, a complex one. There was no simple answer.

"I think, um, possibly because love is the most important thing in a lot of people's lives. They can relate to it. Almost everyone's had their hearts broken, and that's the basis for the sad ballads. People can relate to the happy, up-beat songs about love too. We've all been there. And I think the notion of love gives people hope. Even if they aren't in love, songs can motivate people to want to find it."

The break was ending, and Harry had to go back onstage. Aaron looked a little disappointed. Louis would bet he'd want to talk with Harry about music again sometime soon. Louis liked how inquisitive Aaron was, how he showed such a desire to learn more.

"He's intelligent and gifted," Aaron said after Harry had walked away. It said a whole lot that Aaron had complimented Harry in this way. Aaron didn't do an appreciable amount of talking, especially compared to Brooke. So when he did talk, it wasn't usually just idle chatter.

"He's a visionary. I think he's ingenious. He's going to become famous."

The way Aaron said this last part gave Louis chills. He'd said it with such quiet conviction. As if it was a given. Louis supposed Aaron was right. Harry was certainly creative and innovative. He had a beautiful, expressive voice, and stage presence that could rival Elvis. He could take Uneven Emotion to high places in the music world. Louis had known there was something special about Harry from the very start. Some people seem to be born special, and Harry was no doubt one of them.

Apparently Brooke felt the same as Aaron. She had stars in her eyes as she watched Harry perform everything from rock to pop, and a few more ballads too. She had nothing but praise, and Louis felt so much pride that it was virtually coming out of his ears. Brooke and Aaron danced a few times. The dance floor was crowded for most of the night. It was a small dance floor but still . . . people seemed to be motivated to dance when Harry sang.

When the night ended, Brooke looked teary eyed as she hugged Harry and Louis. Without mentioning that Louis and Harry were evidently on good terms again, she exclaimed, "This has been the best night! Thank you for inviting us!"

"We both had a fantastic time," Aaron agreed. Brooke was just a little tipsy, but Aaron had secured an Uber for them, and Harry and Louis waved them off.