Self-defense

Joe, Harry's ex-band mate had the wind knocked out of him. He looked up after gasping a couple of times to see a red-faced, fuming Louis, appearing fully ready for a fight, should it come to that.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you?" Louis demanded. Joe, having temporarily had the wind stolen from his sails, got to his feet. He was an inch or two taller than Louis, but built heavier. He looked like he could hold his own in a fight.

But Louis had grown up in a rough neighborhood. He'd learned from a fairly early age how to street fight. He'd had to--either that or be beaten up regularly. With his slim build, guys would sometimes try to pick on him, thinking they could score another victory that would make them look tougher. That was why, later on, Louis had taken up lifting weights, and countless hours of football had muscled his legs.

Joe suddenly lunged at Louis, and Louis smoothly side-stepped so the guy kept on going, hitting the sidewalk again.

"I don't think you wanna keep doin' that," advised Louis with a slightly amused, yet deadly gleam in his eye. "You're gonna end up hurtin' yourself."

Some of Joe's sass was missing this time. "Harry did me wrong. He did all of us wrong," he protested. "And you're the one who was putting a battery in his Rover. You said you didn't know him."

"So, I lied," Louis taunted. "And from what I've heard from Harry, he wasn't treated with respect in that band. It's a good thing he got out when he did."

"Fuckin' faggot," the guy grumbled in Harry's general direction as he got to his feet again. Louis took his eyes off Joe for just a second to look at Harry--see his reaction to what had been said. Harry's cheeks were bright red. That was when Louis knew Joe was speaking the truth. Harry was gay. Otherwise, he wouldn't be blushing, right?

"Shut up, Joe!" cried Harry. But he didn't deny what Joe had said. Louis had to admire him for that.

Joe didn't make any moves toward either Harry or Louis, so Louis knew he was thinking twice about causing more trouble. He could sense Louis wasn't afraid of him.

"I see you anywhere near Harry again, and I'll do a lot more than let you fall on your face again," Louis warned.

Fear flashed across Joe's face, but he covered it with an attempt at bravado. "How are we supposed to be a band now?" he demanded, although his tone was weaker.

Harry spoke up. "That's your problem now. You blew your chances with me. I'll find a band that listens to me ideas; lets me sing some things I want to, where it's give and take instead of just catering to you and your preferences in music. I'm a human bein' and I deserve to be heard."

Louis felt like puffing up his chest and beating it like a gorilla. That's how proud he was of Harry.

Joe tried again to put on a superior act as he walked back to his car, a new turquoise Camaro. He was too chicken shit to do anything else. Evidently he'd seen Harry alone on the street and had pulled over to start something. That's what Louis was assuming.

After he'd driven away, Harry turned to Louis. "God, I'm sorry. I just keep makin' trouble for you, don't I?"

"You're not exactly low maintenance," admitted Louis with a teasing grin. "You know how to fight?"

"Not really."

"Didn't think so. You were shovin' him back though, and that shows spirit. You have spunk in you, Harry. You just don't show it most of the time. I'll teach you how to defend yourself if you want me to."

Harry's eyes danced. "I want!" he chortled.

"Okay, I've got more dogs to walk. I'll be done in a couple more hours. But please. . . try to stay out of trouble until I'm done, okay?"