If I Could Fly

When Louis and Harry arrived home from the street race, they settled into their familiar, comfortable routine. Tee-shirts and pajama bottoms, since it was now too warm for sweats.

"If I could fly . . . " Harry said out loud as they sat down to a simple dinner of macaroni and cheese and hot dogs.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, your car is so fast, that I thought I was flyin' for a short while there . . . but wouldn't it be nice to fly?" asked Harry.

"Yeah, but way up there, I know I'd get carried away, and just keep goin,' and pretty soon I'd get lost and wouldn't be able to find me way home."

Harry had a quick answer to that one. "Oh, in that situation I'd take flight, and bring you right back home to me," he declared with a smile.

"Harry," said Louis softly.

"Louis," Harry replied.

And this was to become a habit. Just saying each other's names. It was enough, and it said a whole hell of a lot without explanation. They also enjoyed their method of silent communication, and the staring was also still part of it.

They washed the dishes and settled on the couch, neither one wanting to retire to bed, as they would be separated.

Louis often wondered when things would move forward, but he didn't fret about it. Harry needed space to heal from whatever had happened to him, and Louis was sure he'd talk about it in due time, but it had to be on Harry's timeline. Meanwhile, he hoped he was proving to Harry that he'd wait for him—that Harry was more than worth it to him.

"Are you out to your family?" Harry asked.

Louis no longer got as jolted as he had before when Harry came up with momentous questions without warning. He was accustomed to it by now.

"Yeah, I am. Me mum accepted it right away, even though she was shocked. Same with me sister. Me dad can't wrap his head 'round it, but his feelins' toward me didn't change."

Louis was about to ask Harry the same question when he remembered Harry had no parents or siblings. So he worded it a little differently.

"The family you have left—have you told them?"

"No. never saw any reason to, since I don't see them often with them bein' in the UK and all. So it helps that there really isn't much of anyone to judge me."

His grin was a little cringy. Louis wondered if Harry might be a little bit bitter that he had really had no one to come out to. But it wasn't in Harry's nature to dwell on it. He didn't seem to have the capability to be depressed.

"How about other people?" Harry asked, referring to Louis.

"Nope. Never told anyone at me corporate job, or now. Figured it's none of anyone's business."

Harry nodded his agreement.

"We haven't hugged lately, so bring it in," Louis said this in a rush so he wouldn't chicken out. He was craving one of Harry's hugs in the worst way.

Delighted, Harry pulled him into his arms, hugging tightly as usual. But this time, they didn't let go for a while, and instead of perching on the edge of the couch, they both naturally seemed to lean back until they were nestled against the back of the couch, in each other's arms.

They were always reading each other's minds, and this night was no different. Harry buried his face in Louis' neck, for real this time. They'd both turned their faces toward the other's hair when hugging before, but this was the first time Louis could actually feel Harry's lips brush against his neck, and goose bumps popped out everywhere.