37

Dan's POV

"Fuck,fuck."

I am pressing the buttons of the second lift. I should have fired my secretary on Monday when she came in with that skimpy outfit. 

Everyone has been warning me about her. But I just could not believe any of the things they were saying. She was good at her job, came out of a good college and her background check was came clean.

"That woman is obsessed with you. Dude have you not seen the way she looks at you?" Jason's words haunt me.

If I can turn back time. Now I am about to loose the one person I care about.

All because of the fiasco that woman has created. Rachel is probably thinking that I have been lying to her.

"Jono, which way did she go?"

He knows I must be referring to Rachel. I look like a mess right now. My hair is all over the place as I have been pulling it and running my hands on it. 

I am relived when Jono points to the exit of the building and not the parking lot. I know Rachel is still here.

I see her immediately, she is leaning against my building.

When I get to her she is looking down. My hands itch to touch and hold her.

Screw it. I hold her into my chest. 

"I'm sorry baby." I kiss her head repeatedly. She is not resisting me. This is a good sign.

I feel her hands pushing me. I spoke too soon.

I reluctantly release her.

"I want you to stay away from me Daniel Carter. Do you hear me?"

"You know I can't do that Rachel."  If she thinks for a second that I will just walk away. Then she does not know me.

"Rachel, I did not cheat on you with that woman."

"Daniel, do you think I am a fool? I saw it with my own eyes." She screams.

"She kissed me. And I did not kiss her back." I respond as harshly. I was planning on being calm. But Rachel is not making this any easier.

"That is supposed to make it all right. Daniel I am not going to be one of your many lovers. Lets just be glad that this thing ended before we invested too much. "

"Are you out your mind? How can you say that to me?"

"Rachel you know that I love you. You are not a conquest of my mine. You are everything to me."

"You are my lifeline ." I scream

"I am not going to fall for your charms anymore. You are exactly the kind of distraction I was trying to avoid."

"Rachel I am nothing like your ex. Do you think after everything that I have done to get you to go out with me I will risk what we have?"

"You are right. I can't believe you will hurt me like this despite everything we have been through."

"Rachel, do you not trust me?" 

I see the answer to my question in her eyes. That breaks my heart even more. I never had a chance with her.

"Daniel it is me and not you...."

"Don't give me that bullshit." I stop her from completing those words.

She moves closer to the road. I think she wants to take a taxi.

I notice that there is a small crowd gathered now taking pictures.

"Lets not drag this unnecessarily Dan. You got what you wanted from me. It is what you do."

That brings my anger to an uncontrollable level.

"You are right Rachel. It was all about the chase. And I won."

My heart breaks as I say this. But I am so mad at her. I poured my heart out to this woman. She does not even give me the benefit of the doubt.

I see more fresh tears streaming down her face as she gets into the cab.

"Have a nice a life." I say those words to her and I slam the cab door.

                                                       THE END.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>